Saturday, April 30, 2011

Green Men

Ya, Hockey again.

What do you expect? It's Vancouver.

I know I have already admitted in a past post that I hate hockey

Nothing new there.

Unfortunately, my American husband, who at the beginning of last year had no idea what a hockey puck was - even when he held it in his hand* - is now a rabid fan of the Canucks.

What monster have we created????

I should have told him that NO ONE watches hockey here in Canada.  Unfortunately, he went to work and the guys there indoctrinated him - good.

So I will be posting about.....some of the most significant people/things related to HOCKEY....whilst my husband watches the game (Canucks vs Nashville Predators) at a million decibels (what is with that anyway?)

First:  The Green Men


Here's their Fan Website
You can actually buy a C*nucks Hockey Jersey with  this
Green Men symbol on it....

Ya gotta love 'em.

They do their share of distracting the opposition. They do the Canucks a great service, even though the NHL doesn't acknowledge them.

They do their best work sitting next to the penalty box.  Check it out:






And again - watch what the hockey player does at the end:




Here the Green Men bait a Chicago Blackhawks player with a cardboard cutout of  Vince Vaughn - a Blackhawks fan - often seen in Chicago seating....Tonight they used Carrie Underwood's cutout - wearing a Canucks jersey (her husband is a Nashville Predator Hockey player):




How did they get the idea to do this?
In their own words:

"After watching an episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", which is where the Green Men originates from, we both looked at each other and I do believe we actually yelled "Eureka" at the same time. It was a little weird, but we knew it was fate. We knew we had to become Green Men and go to a Canucks game. As for hesitations, there was a few... I mean we aren't really wearing anything so that was a concern... and the first game we went to, it was about -5, so as we walked from our car to GM Place, it was quite tempting to bail out. I'm sure glad we didn't though!"

'Nucks fans LOVE them!!!

To the opposition:  they are more annoying than Don Cherry .
And that's saying something!

Apparently the Green Men rattle the Predators so much, they have run whining to approached the NHL to stop the duo from distracting the players - even going as far as to try and ban them from the stadium - according to a tweet from the Green Men ONE HOUR AGO. Talk has it they are now instructed NOT TO TOUCH THE GLASS.....

Excuse me, but they are FANS just like the rest - and have paid for their seats. They are now a fixture, or at very least, a very fun side show, providing much-needed entertainment in what might otherwise be a very b-o-r-i-n-g game.....IMHO.


More on Don Cherry tomorrow!





* he got the puck as a Christmas gift from my friend Jan's husband.  Thought it was a coaster.

************************************

ADDENDUM: I can't belive this Google Search:
"
No way. Someone in Duncan, B.C. doesn't even know whether the Canucks have won the Stanley Cup or not????  I know Duncan is a little out of the way and slightly isolated due to being on the Island and all......but........EVERYONE.....even ME......she-who-hates-hockey - knows the answer to THAT one!!!!

3 comments:

hoodnurse said...

Hate hockey? Wha?? Glad your American husband has seen the light.
Look forward to the Don Cherry post. Love me some Don Cherry and his crazy suits. Wish he was on American TV instead of Pierre McGuire, that guys is the worst.

Phiddy said...

all......but........EVERYONE.....even ME......she-who-hates-hockey - knows the answer to THAT one!!!!

Umm... I didn't know that either.
Can I plead Americanism?

Cartoon Characters said...

NNITH: I can be forgiven for hating hockey since "Hockey Night in Canada" was the staple of our house ad nauseum. I just couldn't get into it.

On the other hand, some things *around* hockey are quite interesting...and that is what I am going to try and present... ;)

PhD'y: You are living further east. That in of itself is exculpatory! ;)
Probably more so than being American! ;)