Canada has a Federal election on May 2nd, which, incidentally and ironically, happens to fall on the last day that we can, as Canadians, submit our Income Tax.
It seems, according to statistics, that students don't vote.
I thought back to when I was a student....and it's true. I didn't think of voting. I knew what was going on...but I didn't do anything about it. I was too busy with the other things going on in my life.
And, after all - what difference could it make - to me?
Rick Mercer is the Canadian equivalent of Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart - delivering political satire to Canadians. He has a popular TV show: The Rick Mercer Report.
A challenge was sent out:
Watch this: "Voting 101" for Students, by Rick Mercer - on his show:
And amazingly enough, Students responded:
The movement - "Vote Mob" at the universities across the country started in Guelph. You can find quite a few different videos made by the students at different University across the country.
The message is all the same: It doesn't matter how you vote...just get out and VOTE.
It's your right.
5 comments:
What I really enjoy about your blog is learning about Canada. Growing up in Wisconsin, which borders Canada, you'd think we'd learn something about our neighbors to the north. Truth is, I know next to nothing, and that's probably more than most people here. Sad but true.
I've voted in every election since I turned 18. Of course I'm voting in the US. Here in WA the governor's race came down to just a few hundred votes not that long ago. I believe they counted three separate times. So I do believe I can make a difference. I'm with you, I don't care how you vote, just DO IT!!
Honey: my cousins' family are from Wisconsin... :) their dad's side of the family...he threatens to go back there...but has yet to leave WA state!
It's amazing how similar yet how different we are!My husband (american) discovers this every day, living in Canada....
CN: Good for you...!:) I think I may have voted once or twice when I was younger.... :( not a good record.
Here in BC it's discouraging when the vote is decided by the time they count the votes in Ontario.....similar to AS IF the midwest decided every single election outcome in the USA.
It's no reason not to vote, though.
It's a bit depressing to vote in Alberta, because our MPs and MLAs only come in one flavor, except for the HUGELY hilarious upset in the Edmonton-Strathcona riding in 2008.
That doesn't stop me from putting my vote where my heart is, though. This year I'm voting Green.
The CNSA board has been working closely with CNA to encourage students to vote. CNSA has some 65,000 members. Can you imagine if they all voted?
Hey, I'm going to use that one for my next CNSA facebook post...lol
UGRN: I hear you. Did you do the compass questionnaire to see where you sit? ;) It's a good one...it's been going around.
Yes, if everyone who doesn't normally vote - voted....it might surprise a lot of people.
Will be watching your post!
Post a Comment