| Vineyards in the Okanagan |
I have often described The Valley to my American friends like this: "Picture the Napa Valley with Lake Tahoe in it."
| View from Grey Monk Estate Winery Restaurant - the vines haven't yet sprouted, behind by 6 wks due to a cooler than usual spring |
| This is the view from my school bus every day when I went to highschool |
The south Okanangan, where I grew up, is more arid - semi-desert and has the 100 plus F temperatures in the summer..... tumbleweeds, sagebrush, cacti and your usual Rattlesnakes and scorpions.
Great wine country!
The north Okanagan is a little greener, but still - great wine country - once again! (can I stress that enough?)
There are over 111 wineries in British Columbia - most of them award-winning VQA (Vintner's Quality Alliance). One of my favorite things to do in the summer and fall is to take tours through wine country, visiting several along the way.
You can actually arrange winery tours by bus, train or float plane. Most of the time we just draw straws for a "designated driver" and go by car.
| Grey Monk Estate Winery entrance - mom and dad going in |
| View up the Valley from the Restaurant deck |
6 comments:
That is spectacular! I wish I could go right now. I'll have to put it on my places to visit list! Thanks for the pictures!:)
You would love it here! Tourism is big here...our family used to have a Resort on one of the lakes.
I hated the city (planning) of Kelowna but ADORED the surrounding area when I went to UBC-O for my pre reqs in 2008. I lived in a bachelor apt in the Borgata Lodge on the golf course there. LOVED it.
Quails Gate Winery makes my absolute favorite BC port and Gewurztraminer. I'd love to get hitched there actually, I think it is the most spectacularly beautiful and quaint of all the wineries in the area.
Didn't like Ktown at all, and I was there for 8 years. Found the hospital and town quite "cliquey"...if I were to move back to the Okanagan - but probably wouldn't - it would be to the outlying areas on a golf course...or perhaps Penticton - or Vernon.
Did you know they are opening a Medical school there this year? - UBC affiliation....
What an awesome view from your school bus, did you take it for granted or stop and take a moment every time you saw the breath-taking view?
I was a kid - what did I know? Never mind that I was bus-sick every day of my life....I really get motion sick when a passenger...and this includes buses. 14 miles each way - I was bus-sick most of my life..... :(
Post a Comment