Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Geronimo?

Yesterday, when I first heard Geronimo's name linked to recent current events....my first reaction was ....whaaaaaaaat?

Isn't there any sense of decency out there?  I was more than shocked.

Just because historically, Geronimo eluded the American army .... doesn't mean he wasn't a hero in his own right - and definitely not anywhere near the other's reputation. 

Geronimo defended what was his and what was being stolen from him.   He was treated badly by the government his entire life and didn't deserve the kind of treatment he received, yet he was gracious and noble.... a real warrior.

Why would the powers that be - be so insensitive and use Geronimo's name and link it with such a notorious person?

My husband is a direct descendant on his Mother's side....Apache...and proud of it - but only after a lifetime of being put down for his heritage.  

I asked my husband what he thought when it was mentioned on the news -  he didn't say much.  With all the derogatory remarks and discrimination throughout the years, if not for the aboriginal side -  for the Hispanic side -  it is painful to dredge all those old feelings back up again.

Who chose that name anyway?

There are countless other names/words the Military could have used - any number of other nouns or verbs.  Anything but that which further insults Native Americans.


I think an apology is warranted.


********************

Oh, another thing?

Why post gruesome photos of a dead person?

What does it prove?

I just don't understand why it should be done.  Those who don't believe it, won't.  People can always photoshop any photo.  It doesn't prove anything, it doesn't make sense.

I think they are better than that.

Just a few thoughts.

8 comments:

Betsy MacWhinney said...

I completely agree. They did, in fact, post photos of the moon landing, but that hasn't really swayed anyone's opinion as to whether it happened. I really hope they never release them.

Cartoon Characters said...

all you have to do is look at the "birth certificate" controversy also to know how true that is.

Another thing that makes me uncomfortable is the excessive "dancing on the grave"...

Writings on the wall said...

I agree with you also. Nobody should slander anyones else's name nor background. On showing the pictures i agree again. its been told and done with time to move.. Giving to much media on an event or events that seriously should not be priority.

I also want to apologize if I said anything disrespectful in my recent blogs, never intended to disrespect anyone just wanted put down my thoughts like anyone can..

anyways I agree with your post 100%

Liza

Phiddy said...

Oh I agree CC wholeheartedly!
This is one of the reasons I watch so little news. I didn't know this slur on Geronimo was happening. The less I know the better I feel is my motto.
Geronimo was a hero to his people and so denigrated by the US of A. I am ashamed of what the American government did to our indigenous peoples. Shame, shame and more shame.

Cartoon Characters said...

M.K.: I know that you have had quite a time for the same reason as my husband.

I am glad the government decided not to release the photos.

I think that it is a time for reflectiveness rather than celebration....

I don't think your blogs have been disrespectful. My comments were not directed at you. :)

I was just making comment on what I was seeing on TV....

Phiddy: I hear you...and yes...

Tess Julia said...

I'm a news junkie, but I missed that bit on Geronimo. I think the American Indian past and what the U.S. gov't did was shameful.

I've always thought, with the immigration controversy going on, what must the American Indians be thinking? Hearing comments about how these people (mainly Hispanics) are illegally entering "their" land. My thought is, "Really? And exactly how long ago was it that YOUR family immigrated here?"

Americans tend to be very self-centered and absorbed. The news we get here revolves around what happens here or how what happens abroad affects us. I'm grateful to have lived for 3 years outside the country because it opened my eyes to the world, and made me more compassionate. Not everyone has it so good, and you can't blame them for wanting to improve their lot in life.

Phiddy said...

Great post Honey! American self absorbed? Not that they would think so. Who me?

From one American who hopefully isn't that alike to the rest of my cousins living south of the 49th parallel.

Cartoon Characters said...

Honey: The Canadian government was guilty of the same treachery towards the Aboriginals. Amends are still being made, some controversial... and there is still evidence of the damage done within the First Nations Population...

Yes, that 'illegal alien' thing really gets me. When I was working in California, while waiting for a tire change...I was listening to a guy spewing the complaint of " the Mexicans taking our jobs"...yet when I confronted him that I too am really taking an american's job...he didn't say anything to me...more than likely to do with the color of my skin. Funny how that changes things.

As for the News...looking at it from a Canadian perspective...it certainly opens the eyes to live outside the USA for a while....the little news you get while on the inside has a different focus than anywhere else.....my american cousins who have lived in Europe and China and South America and Asia say much the same thing.

PHDY: In their defense, i have met many americans that have a broader perspective ... ;) I see it in many blogs I read ...the generosity, kind spirit and thoughtfulness in words written. Don't despair! :)