Wednesday, May 18, 2011

More Eaglet Drama

You have seen and visited the Eagle Nest link to the left in my connections.  

You have also seen the Virginia Eagles - the mother eagle that was killed by the plane and now the babies are being raised at the Wildlife Center there.

Well, there is another Eagle's Nest that is coming into the news.

Apparently, an eaglet - one of three - in this nest in Sidney, B.C. (on Vancouver Island)  is snagged on some fishing line since this past Saturday.  

Fishing line can be found in most Eagles' nests because they tend to prey on fish that are wounded - ones that have been caught in nets and escaped.  These are perfect targets for Eagles, who work continuously to feed their young.

 Today, a rescue plan to drop down from a Search and Rescue helicopter was scrapped.

The plan now is - to get large mats in place on the muddy land's surface that will support a 65 Ton crane at the site of the tree and someone will rescue the eaglet.   

Hopefully the ground will dry enough to allow the crane to do the rescue....or the eaglet's days are numbered.

The adult eagles will continue to feed the baby and will not abandon it, but the fear is that they will no longer use the nest in the future.

Here is the link to the Sidney Eagle cam

If you are lucky enough, you might just catch the rescue......Live!!  Tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Tess Julia said...

So glad the babies are being rescued and saved. This is why I can't handle watching nature programs on Natl Geographic. I love learning about animals but I get too sad when something bad happens.

Cartoon Characters said...

I know! I was watching a hunting show where the buck got shot. I couldn't believe it! :(
On the other hand, the fishing show was catch and release...