| Present Uniform |
I can remember the inception of the Vancouver Canucks. I was a teenager at the time and my brothers were so excited - although perplexed that Vancouver was put in the East Division instead of the West. I suppose someone out east wasn't looking at the map.
The Hockey-Stick-in-a-Rink Logo was designed by a local designer - Joe Borovich - who was subsequently paid $5000 for it. This design, with minor tweaks, was used from 1970 to 1978.
In 1978, hoping to achieve a more "aggressive" image - the management consulted with a designer from San Francisco. Big mistake.
Look at what they came up with - the "Flying V":
Or here is the "Away" outfit:
![]() |
| We could have been an arena full of Cheetos-dressed fans - just like Nashville! |
The "Away" Jersey had yellow as the main color....which made it look even more like a Hallowe'en costume.
It wasn't a Jersey or a team one could really be proud of. But, despite the horrible hockey fashion faux-pas, it was with these "costumes" the Canucks made their first run for the Stanley Cup in 1982.
In 1985, the colors were more or less the same, but the "V" around the neck was reduced and a new Logo was introduced - said to be reminiscent of "Star Wars":
The "Flying Skate" was the logo up until 1997 and actually was the one the team was wearing the for the second "kick at the can" - for the Stanley cup in 1994.
I can't believe they kept those colors for so long. U-G-L-Y.
Thankfully, the yellow "Away" colors were changed to white:
Finally, in 1997, a change in uniforms was announced once again - and the new "Birthing Orca" was introduced.
Agreed, this was more of a North-West Coast Logo, with an aboriginal Haida influence....the Orca whale being the official Mascot - "Fin the Whale". The Blue and the White and the Silver looked great.
But that red color.....!!!!????
![]() |
| this is the "special" 3rd uniform..... :( |
| The actual "Home" uniform |
Note that they have the original "Hockey Stick in a Rink" patch on the shoulder for which rights of use, the original designer was paid $10,000K .
Yes. Much better.
Might even be the all-time favorite uniform....and definitely an upgrade from the 1980's.
Hopefully this will translate into success ......
*************************************


2 comments:
I like the old Hockey stick in a rink. Basic simple and old school classic
I will always like that old hockey stick in a rink too. :)
But if I had to choose between the 80s....and now....hands down, what we have now! :)
Post a Comment