Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sad

I am feeling rather sad and conflicted this am.

Today is the last day I could have renewed my Washington State RN license.

I sat for the exams in 1989, just before moving to California.

After much thought as to where I am going from here, I have decided not to renew my American License,  but will only keep my B.C. License.

It makes me sad because it was something I was proud of.  I sat for the NCLEX and was then eligible to apply for my RN license in California.   After I moved back to Canada, I swapped my California license for a WA state license.

I worked for a number of years, going back and forth over the border to work,  and then - The Accident.

I was schmucked on the freeway by a HUGE dump truck with a full load going 100kms per hour.  I was minding my own business, on my way to my Favorite Uncle's funeral with my Dad and my Mother with me in the car. 

I was in the "slow" lane going the speed limit ....the dump truck was going  a lot faster, and the vehicle in front of him slowed down suddenly.  The driver of the truck decided to swerve into my lane - and hit me off the road.

We were lucky I was able to keep the car upright.  Lucky that it *just happened* to be the small area of roadside that didn't have a sign, a concrete pillar or a water-filled ditch.  Lucky that we didn't roll.  Lucky that we weren't killed. 

I am sure Angels were working hard at that moment, keeping us safe.

My car was totalled.  My dad was in shock - a huge gash on the back of his head where the truck came through.  I was in shock and "forgot" how to open my door to get out of my car. Police arrived on the scene.

Instead of going to my uncle's funeral, we ended up in ER.  My dad and I were checked over.  My mother insisted that she was OK.  We were released and took a cab back home to my house.

I was never able to work L&D again.  My special area of work, the best place in the hospital, the best job in the world -  I could no longer do.  I couldn't lift my arms above my shoulder and I definitely couldn't do any heavy lifting - a "must" for any L&D work.

I kept up hope that perhaps I could go back to work eventually, but after five years of physiotherapy, acupuncture, massage therapy, rehab treatment, heat/cold therapy, strong anti-inflammatories - I tried it all - I realized that I would never work with Moms and Babes anymore.

I kept up my American license "just in case", since it would be fairly easy for me, as the wife of an American citizen, to work across the border, even with the recent changes in the tightening of restrictions.

But, today is the due date - the last day for the dues to be given in.

I wanted to pay it anyway - it certainly doesn't cost much - only $100 compared to the $408 I pay yearly here in B.C. for my Canadian RN License.

I let the time slip by without doing anything.

It's the end of an era, and I am sad that I won't have that American license, but realistically - I will never work in the USA again.   

Not that I really wanted to.   Or would.

I just liked that door left -  cracked open a little - just in case.

Reality is, I am getting to the end of my career and most of it was spent in Canada...and this is where I will be retiring.   The work situation for RNs in the USA are dismal and the type of nursing job I do now is not one that has many openings for in the USA.

So, with a little regret, a touch of sadness and with much conflict in my heart......I leave it behind me.

It is more difficult than I thought it would be.

14 comments:

Tess Julia said...

Wow, I understand your conflict. It's no small task achieving that license, and to be in your circumstances after losing your dream job must be a huge loss. Through our communications you know how I feel about being a RN here in the U.S., but I feel I need to keep my license and skills up because my husband's job could get ripped away at anytime. No one is immune to "downsizing", and it's our plan B if that happens. I value your insight as an experienced nurse, and it verifies how I feel about working here as a nurse myself. I can't imagine the frustration of losing something due to someone's carelessness as in your accident. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Cartoon Characters said...

Exactly. To go through what we do to get that license, excelling in it and then have it ripped away without even an apology.

I never did like nursing until I worked L&D so it was tragic to say the least.

Lucky for me, there were other options, while not being the one I would choose first - certainly allowed me to work, and I suppose that is the main thing at this point in my career.

All things happen for a reason, and I accept that.

It still makes me sad.

It also makes me wonder how difficult it will be for me to hang up my license for good...when I *actually* retire.

Interesting ...

Kendra said...

I know how you feel...kinda-sorta. I used to teach high school Agriculture in my former life (ie, pre-kiddos). Once my children came along, I became a stay-at-home mama...but I kept my Indiana license current. We moved to Kentucky, and I would have needed my IN license to get my KY license.
But then this whole nursing school gig came up, and I decided to not renew my IN license. It lapsed in June of 2010. I was the same kind of sad...thinking "what if I needed it someday?" and letting that door close makes things seem so final.
I hope it's a non-issue..that I'll get into nursing and never look back. But at the same time, it would have been nice to be able to at least glance back through that open door...

Cartoon Characters said...

For sure you know! It's the same: letting something go like that - all the hard work to get there.

I hear ya.
But:I am sure you will like nursing. :)

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

CC, I'm sorry for your accident. If the only department that I ever truly enjoyed working on during my nursing career came to an end, I'd have to wonder if I could continue in the nursing field at all.
I'm glad you chose to stay in the field of nurisng, but sad you had to make a decision of not continuing your licenseing in WA too. Raise your glass tonight to a job well done in the States!

Cartoon Characters said...

thanks ZazzyE... CA is where I discovered the one area of nursing that I really enjoyed - 15 years of L&D, and for that I am forever grateful.

:)

Daisy said...

Wow! That is such a huge part of your life, I can understand why you are sad and torn. Is there an option for you to renew sometime in the future if you elect to? Or is this the end all to it? At least you have the other license in case you have the urge to work in nursing again. Do you think you will?

Cartoon Characters said...

Daisy: It is a big part of my life, but fact is, I haven't worked in WA state in 5 years...and that's how long I haven't worked L&D. I do nursing at the moment but it's a different area of nursing that doesn't include hospital work.

undergrad RN said...

Wow, what a terrible accident, and it cost you so much. I am glad you were all okay. I don't think you could pick a better place to retire than BC :) I have secret dreams of being a Vancouver girl once school's over...

Cartoon Characters said...

It was! and I am very lucky that I wasn't even more badly injured than I was...even if I wasn't able to go back to L&D. At least I had options.

WELL you *should* come to B.C. - Downtown is one of my very favorite places to live....so cosmopolitan, interesting, vibrant and lots to do! Never mind several hospitals to choose from!

It's listed as the NUMBER 1 place in the world to live! ;)

Phiddy said...

Ah CC, I feel your pain and the sadness in having to let your WA state license go. You write so eloquently...my eyes are watering as I sit here thinking too of my retirement from nursing. Letting go is sometimes a very difficult thing to do.

Cartoon Characters said...

I never thought I would feel this way, after all, it isn't like I don't still have A license...

I can't imagine what it will be like to finally give up my Canadian one. :(

Funny, I have been wanting to retire for a long time, and then when it happens - it's difficult.
:(

babyrndeb said...

that makes me sad...just knowing that in a split second life totally changed for you.
I don't know what I would do if I weren't working in L&D. Maybe teach if I ever get my masters.
I know God has a plan for you though!!
Debbie

Cartoon Characters said...

15 years of L&D...it was difficult to give up! Definitely led me down a different path for sure - and at least it's still in nursing!