Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Holy Crap!

This post is probably not what you are expecting.

In Canada, we have a tv program called "Dragon's Den" where entrepreneurs present their invention/business to try and get funding from a panel of millionaires/billionaires.  A similar show is the American "Shark Tank" - which was based on "Dragon's Den" - who do use a couple of the Canadian "Dragons".  

The cereal product  "Holy Crap" was presented on Dragon's Den on November 17th, 2010.  Int the site's own words:







"My main cereal ingredient is Chia*** or Salvia Hispanica L. which typically contains 20% protein, 34% oil, and 25% dietary fibre. Salvia Hipanica L. contains the highest Omega-3 nutrient source found in nature with perfectly balanced Omega 3, 6, 9 profiles and ratios. My next most abundant ingredient is Hulled Hemp Seed, which is low in carbohydrates, contains more protein than milk, meat or eggs and is suitable for those unable to digest gluten, sugar, milk, nuts and meat.


Most of my customers mix 2 tablespoons of concentrated Holy Crap or Skinny B with 4 tablespoons of almond, rice, hemp milk or regular milk or they sprinkle 1 tablespoon on their yogurt, oatmeal, muesli or granola. Then they stir it up and wait 4 to 5 minutes …. My husband, on the other hand, likes to make it up the night before and leave it in the fridge. He says the raisins and cranberries taste like ambrosia the next morning.
About the name...I first printed a Holy Crap label as a joke after one of my first customers left a message telling me “Holy Crap…this stuff is amazing” and the rest is history.


Wheat free, gluten free, lactose free, vegan, high in iron and dietary fibre, our cereals contain the highest known plant sources of Omega 3, 6 and 9s and are filled with protein and antioxidants."

In the next few days post airing on tv, the company received 10,000 internet orders.   It now takes 6 weeks to deliver - due to the demand, but in Canada, there are a few stores that do carry it for the same price.

Quite the success story!

My cousin - who used to work with the creator of the cereal  at the same airlines, brought some with her for the Superbowl weekend, so I got to try it out.  She now makes her very own recipe for HOLY CRAP and calls it HOLY SHIT......(link below for recipe)

I have to say, it is delicious and healthy, and I will be going out and buying a couple packages. Yes, it seems expensive, but when you look at the quality - and the fact that you only have to use 2 Tablespoons - well, it's a bargain!

By the way -
they ship all over the world.




***Chia has more Omega 3 than fishoil, flaxseed and marine algae....more protein, lipids, energy and fiber - but fewer carbs - than rice, barley, oats, wheat and corn.  It has 78 times less sodium than salmon, 237 times less than tuna.  It is an excellent source of calcium (more than milk!), phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and copper!
 

 - per the AZ university of Arizona press - "Chia Book"

NOTE:  Here is my own "recipe" for my cousin's version of the above.

7 comments:

undergrad RN said...

Cool! I haven't heard of that before but I really like hot cereal grains for breakfast. I might have to try it, too! That name was pretty misleading... "is it a super potent laxative?" "does it have some exotic animal fecal sources?" hahaha :)

NPO said...

Congratulations to them it is nice to see success stories and Chia is a great food source.

I remember Dragon's Den, I had a friend from Winterpeg try to get a product on there, but they cut him before airing. He said Dragons Den was taken from a Japanese show. Everybody around the TV world borrows good ideas.

Cartoon Characters said...

UndergradRN: I believe it assists in "keeping regular", at least that is what they said on Dragon's Den.
The name came from someone exclaiming to her - "Holy Crap, that's good!"....and so she liked the name....history.
NPO: yes, I am happy for them! I thot that the show was derived from a British show but I could be mistaken... :)
I guess it was such a successful show in the UK - the did it here, and then it was so successful in Canada...they took it to the USA.

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

I wonder how expensive this is, I've cut and pasted your blog post and emailed to my mom to see if she'd be interested. I'll let you know and thanks for posting.

Cartoon Characters said...

Zazzaroo: It appears to be expensive but when you consider that you don't have to use any more than 2 Tbsp per serving, it actually is cheaper than a box of cereal... :)

Cartoon Characters said...

Less air, more substance....all packed into one little package!

Cartoon Characters said...

I have noticed in the past couple hrs almost all at the same time, someone from Edmonton, Wisconsin and NY googled "Holy Crap" and got to this article.

I will be posting at some point, the recipe for "Holy Crap" and how YOU can make your own for a lot cheaper!

:)

I now make my own.