Tuesday, February 1, 2011

For Children and for Peace

Jean Beliveau
Talk about ambitious!

Can you imagine one day realizing that your life isn't very meaningful and so you decide to quit your job and go on a long walk?

 Around the world......? 

Well this guy has and still is. *

Jean Beliveau **.  He started out from Montreal Canada, August 18th, 2000 - on his 45th birthday....and kept walking.  All he brought with him was what he could fit in one of those jogging strollers .....for 75 thousand kilometers,***  for 11 years, through 64 countries......

If you go to his website, you can read about his journey and some photos along the way.  He has been walking for coming on 11 years.....in support of the UN proclamation that this past decade was the International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence for the Children of this World.
from Jean Beliveau's website

He met new friends along the way, was invited into people's homes and slept everywhere - in his tent, in a field, in a mausoleum once.  Some would invite him for dinner.  He gave talks at schools along the way to spread the message of peace. He met Four recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize in 3 different countries.  He met one bicyclist from Spain 3 times - the first time on a Peruvian road in 2002, the second on an Indonesian road and the 3rd in Timor Leste.

 Jean's  experiences changed the way he looked at people and life. 

His wife would meet him once a year where ever he was at the time. (check out their yearly photos!). His son and daughter (and once - his granddaughter!) visited him also.

 He landed in Vancouver, B.C. the other day.  He starts his trek across Canada on February 20th.
He is expected to reach Quebec by October this year.  He has a little under 5 thousand kilometers to go.

As interesting and impressive as his life must be,  I can't say that I would want to be in his shoes.....


---------------------------------------------------------------------
* he is my age! :O
** not the hockey player!!
***to put it in perspective, the circumference around the earth at the equator is approximately 40K kilometers.

6 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

What commitment is necessary for a journey like his to be undertaken? alone?

rnraquel said...

Aw, I would invite him over for dinner.

NPO said...

Interesting,thanks for the information I will check his website it looks like a good cause.

Cartoon Characters said...

Lynda: I know! I guess as a woman it would be out of the question. I am impressed that he survived this far, and I am hoping he stays safe for the trip across Canada!

rnraquel: I would have him over also! I think at this point he would have a lot of invites....think of all the stories he would have!

NP: I thot it was a good cause too! amazing... I know he got a lot of freebies along the way and lived very simply...but 11 years! wow. Apparently when he saw his granddaughter at age 6 - it was the first time he had met her. That would be difficult - not seeing your family...and being out of touch for long periods of time!

Cartoon Characters said...

When I think of what he has seen and accomplished in the last 11 years and compare it with what I have done...I would say he wins hands down - by a long shot.

I think of all the incidents thru the past 11 years and thinking where he was at that time....amazing.

Cartoon Characters said...

Interesting note: when he first set out, his partner in business set up a media meet and greet - and no one showed up. I think that is changing.... :)