Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar

I am not really a movie buff.  

That's my husband's passion. If it weren't for his 10 foot movie screen in the "Man Cave", I probably wouldn't see any movies.

Tonight, while he watches the Oscars....I am on my computer.

There are very few movies that are really good.   We just watched "Secretariat" and I thought it was the best I had seen in a while.  But one movie really touches my heart, and I enjoy watching it every time.

The touching story is about an elderly woman who's only dream is to go back to her home town - a fictitious town in Texas called "Bountiful".



I know it's a 1985 movie, but if you have never seen it, you are going to have to make time for it.  Geraldine Page won an Oscar for Best Actress.   Her poignant performance lives on in DVD/online form.

The movie was a forshadowing of what was to come.

Geraldine Page died of a heart attack at age 62 in 1987 during a run on Broadway, only 2 years after making this movie.

2 comments:

Rachedy said...

I've been wondering how Secretariat was, I'll have to check it out. I really loved Black Swan. Haven't seen True Grit because I remember the original. I do want to see Winter Bones but it's not on my demand station and I'm not one to go rent a DVD.

Cartoon Characters said...

It's a "feel-good" movie, one that granny can watch. I liked the interview with the actual owner of secretariat...giving a bit of insight into what actually happened. The thing is, it's a real story and an incredible one. I guess I remember when it all happened and all the excitement around it...
My husband gets "netflix" in the mail and online uploads - both! - plus we have movie channels that we record in the theatre room, so there is no end to the movies here...