Friday, February 4, 2011

What Happens to the babies we deliver?

I have often wondered what happens to the babies I have delivered after they are taken home.

Honestly, sometimes I worry about some of  the helpless little ones -  given the display - or lack thereof - of parenting skills observed on the unit.  Just to clarify - I am not talking about parents that are just learning. Everyone has been there at one time or another.

I am talking about those traits that don't make for good examples within the community never mind for their children.  You know what I am talking about.....short fuses, thoughtless, selfish actions and downright laziness and worse.  Nothing you could use to report to the Authorities...but just that gut feeling.

When I was working in California twenty or so years ago, I stumbled upon a news story of one of a set of twin boys murdered by his own father - 5 months after he left our L&D unit. I recognized the name as one I had cared for during delivery ....so shocking and heartbreaking and tragic.

Occasionally we hear of other stories at the other end of the spectrum....success stories. I don't know if I was in on this young man's delivery but seeing as how he was only born 12 years ago, I may well could have been.

This kid from Burnaby, British Columbia has won 4 Gold Medals in the Juvenile men's skating competitions against kids almost twice his size and quite a bit older.


Age 12, Junior Men's Champion 2011:



Age 11, Junior Men's Champion 2010: (Kung Fu/Crouching Tiger theme)



Age 10, National Novice Champion 2009:


At age 8 in 2007 he won the National Junior Men's Championship.

Tonight he was featured on our local news. This is a quote taken right from his interview:

" Distraction is the enemy of the mind. So, whatever you want to get, then it all depends on the mind - and then the body will follow. So, if you are determined to it, it will turn out as a success"

Mature words, coming from a 12-year-old. I have met men 5 and 6 times his age with less wisdom and maturity, nowhere near the grace and charm.

Next season he qualifies for the International Skating Competition. 

I believe we will see him in the next Winter Olympics.

Yes, he's that good.

Whatever his parents did, they did something right.



"

8 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

This young man gives me a bit of hope for the future of the human race. Thanks for the posting.

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

" Distraction is the enemy of the mind. So, whatever you want to get, then it all depends on the mind - and then the body will follow. So, if you are determined to it, it will turn out as a success"

What a great quote! I could almost print this off and hang it on my wall through my nursing school adventures and later on for life. Of course I would add the Serenity Prayer to keep me sane as well.

Cartoon Characters said...

and coming from the mouth of a 12-year-old, yet! :)

L&D said...

Just wanna say thanks for sending over Zazzy Episodes to me. She said you sent her my way.

*grin*

L&D said...

I'd give you a pat on the back nonetheless.

If you counted....how many babies have you been present for delivery?

Cartoon Characters said...

approximately (guesstimate) 6 thousand.....
some high risk, some low risk, cardiac moms on telemetry in tandem with CCU....country hospitals....
It might be more, but I never did count.
I have actually delivered quite a few on my own when the docs never made it. Those were always my favorite.

Ahluuul said...

I always wondered if midwives/docs/nurses remember the families whose babies they delivered... It's nice to hear that you do! But sometimes it is out of concern, which is sad.

Here in Australia, women predominately deliver in hospitals with midwives attending. Ob/gyn are only called if there is a complication.

Cartoon Characters said...

Ahluuul: Yes, most of us do! :)
I loved my little moms and babes!
Here in BC Canada, you get a choice: Midwife or MD...home delivery or hospital, depending on risk level!