Monday, December 13, 2010

Is Your Website "Dumb" or "Smart"?

Nothing to do with nursing - it's more of a techie thing....

It's a great new little addition - a filter -  to Google search that is very interesting and entertaining at the same time.    What the filter is supposed to do - is help people decide whether the content of a website is at their level of reading.

I tried my website, but I guess I haven't been around long enough to have the verbage to assess.  I have done a few of my other favorite sites - so here goes.  I mostly read nurses' blogs so I tried out a few of those first.   Interesting.

Then I tried out some of the MD blogs. 

Interesting again.

Try it yourself.  Or check out your own website or blog.

Go to the Google page.  In the "Google bar" enter in your site address - for example:

site:drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com    or   site:erstories.net  

Click on "search"

To the Lower Right of the Google bar you will notice "advanced search" - click on it - and it will open up advanced search options.  Where it says "need more tools?" click on the dropdown tab arrow beside "reading level" and choose "annotate results with reading levels" and click on "advanced search" at the bottom right hand side of the page.

This will give you the reading level - "smart or dumb?" assessment - of your site and break it down into percentages.

For example:

Results by reading level for site:drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com:

91%
8%
0%


or
Results by reading level for site:erstories.net:

36%
45%
17%



It is all laid out in Graph and numerical format.  If you need further tutorials, here you go.

No comments: