Sunday, December 5, 2010

Birth Story: What is in a Name?

Some people give their babies the strangest names.

I am quite sensitive to it, because I myself have a name that is so unusual, I only have to write it down and everyone knows who that person is. Google my name and you get all information related - mostly -  to me.   I have had stalkers find what hospital I work at and the unit I work in because of that.   It can be a liability. 

Never mind, no one ever gets the spelling right.  Imagine having to go through life  having to spell it constantly.  I have yet to see anyone get it right the first time.  Even when I spell it out s-l-o-w-l-y, for some reason people still don't want to write it down it correctly.

For some reason I still have to tell them, "no - there isn't a space there and it is spelled with a "XXX" as in "XXXXXX" - and they STILL don't get it right.   I usually give up at that point and let them write it the way they like.  On the other hand, when people hear my name, they often tell me it's a pretty name. (Although not so pretty that anyone wanted to name their baby by MY name - except ONE!)

 My father, on the other hand,  is lucky. Same last name as myself,  but he just happens to have the same name of a notorious celebrity and if you type in his name in Google - any information about him is lost in the plethora of celebrity gossip.  I am envious.

I have also been envious of my brothers and sisters and friends who ALL could buy that mug or pen or whatever sweet item off the shelf that has their name printed on it - as stock - without having to special order and then wait 6-8 weeks only to find the company decided I didn't spell my name right and took the liberty to correct it for me! Arrrrgghhh!

I think I have somewhere already told the story about a young Chinese couple - new immigrants - who were going to name their baby Petunia - (or some other flower - I can't quite remember the exact name)....and I had to intervene on the baby's behalf and explain that it was not a suitable name for their baby. Explain to them that the name they had chosen was a girl's name - not a boy's name - and they might wish to rethink it, for their baby boy's sake.   Having immigrant grandparents with the difficulty of language comprehension definitely gave me sympathy for those  I looked after that were in the same boat.

I was working in the USA in a brand new (to me) hospital - night shift - and some of the nurses in L&D were talking about strange names.    I chimed in - "Ya.....I remember one gal who named her baby Melena....." [with drama]

Big Pause.

 *crickets* 

 The nurses all looked blankly at me.   It clearly didn't register with them.   Deeply offended, one of the nurses said "What do you mean??? That's my daughter's name!! What's wrong with it?"

Not exactly how to win friends and influence people - especially when one is the "new" nurse on the block.

But one thing that would really get me going were the mothers who had separated  from their first husband but didn't change their former married name for whatever reason - and would come in with their new partner and baby-daddy of the new little one.   I am pretty sure no forethought was given at all to the possible complications. 

The policy of most hospitals, in order not to have any baby switching or medical errors, is to put the legal name of the mother on the baby's bands as well as the new father's band.   All the paperwork has to match up to ensure that the proper baby stays with the proper mother.....and that if the baby is wheeled in the cot down the hallway with the parent other than the mother  and  a security check was necessary - we would have a way of ensuring the baby wasn't being snatched.

After all, there had been a baby-stealing incident in the city recently.  No hospital wanted that liability.

I can't tell you how many irate baby-daddies demanded the name of the ex be removed from their baby.  It was difficult to explain to them that legally - and for their baby's safety - this is the way it had to be done.

I suppose a home delivery would avoid this problem......  wouldn't it?

9 comments:

Angela said...

Oh man, If you google my "Real" name i'm the only person that pops up. My first name is rather common, my last is unusual so I feel your pain in regards to that!

The worse baby name I ever heard was a combo of two names... Two GUY names. It was AWFUL! Everyone said so except the mom. As she cominbed the two possible dad's names to get one just so that he would be named after his daddy *blink*

xx
Jaxs

Cartoon Characters said...

Yup. Google my whole name, first and last and MY name is the ONLY one that comes up.... :(
Google my first name and there are very, very few...mostly me... :(
I tried so hard to encourage mothers I looked after to name their babies after me so I wouldn't be alone ....

Ashley Joy said...

When my three year old was born the hospital insisted on giving him my maiden name even though I was married and my name had been legally changed, including insurance cards because "(maiden name) is what they have in the system". Apparently I had previously gone to that hospital once when I was a minor and it was "too much trouble" to give my baby my married/legal name. We had to bring in all of our documents like marriage certificates, birth certificates, social security cards, etc before the hospital would let us name him with his correct name rather than my former name.

Cartoon Characters said...

wow. We easily changed the gal's paperwork over - and at that time our hospital had a computer system.

As far as naming a baby - in B.C. where I live, all the documents are given to the parents and they are responsible for filling them and sending them in. No one gives a rip what is on the birth certificates.

I did notice that funny little rule in the WA state hospitals I worked in. Anyone who has a computer in B.C. can get all the paperwork (insurance,birth certificates, Social insurance -USA SS number equiv - number etc) that is required for the baby online and our civil life as we know it hasn't fallen apart giving the parents responsibility.

Some of our south asian moms will go home without naming their children because they have a ceremony where a name is given - I think around the 10th day after birth....so naming before discharge is out of the question for them.

Cartoon Characters said...

in my above comment, when I mentioned "we changed the gal's paperwork over"...was in reference to the paperwork of the new mom in the previous story...where they had left while in labor to get married...that was easy...however. When you present with a LEGAL name - that can't be switched to whatever is felt. Since your married name was your LEGAL name, and also on your Insurance...I just don't see why that hospital just didn't correct/update their files/computer system. That seems ODD to me.....

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

How about Thumbelina! I'm at work and I just had a mom call and ask if her daughter's appt. was correct in our system, and she spelled the first and last name and that's what it was. I feel bad for that kid.

Cartoon Characters said...

oh my. that's teasing waiting to happen.
I was just on another blog looking at blogposts and reading other comments.....guess what. Someone has the name Melina!!! oh my. Don't people research names???

Red Stethoscope said...

Ha! This is hilarious. I'm sorry about your own name being so hard to find, though! My name also isn't preprinted on any of those mugs/pens/keychains, and it's not even that uncommon!

Cartoon Characters said...

Well...you get used to it...not finding your name anywhere. It's a surprise though, when you find someone else with the same first name...now we have the internet...