When I was in my 20's - up until my 40's - I would have a "Christmas Tree Decorating Party" where I would invite friends over to celebrate the obvious.
Sometimes it meant a few people, sometimes a huge roomful.
But, it always meant fun and laughter and stories and secrets shared over a glass of mulled wine - or eggnog.
Every ornament placed on the tree had a meaning, or a story behind it. The memories - along with the ornaments - would be dusted off and reflected upon.
I could hardly wait until I could drag out the 5 or 6 totes full of decorations every year.....and take my time and ponder on Christmases past.
That same feeling comes back when I see my trees - set up and glowing in the night. There is nothing more calming and more satisfying than walking into the quiet dark room in the middle of the night, the ethereal glow of the focal lighting reflecting off the golden apples and the wooden carved deer family gathered around the creche.
One of my most favorite Christmas tree photos is one of my Dad with 2 of his brothers, sitting in front of their Christmas tree. Take a look. And yes, just in case you are wondering - those are real candles on that tree.
3 comments:
That is a beautiful picture, warm and inviting.
I agree with you completely on that wonderful feeling you have when the only light in the dark night is the Tree. There is something peaceful about the memory I have of my tree from Holidays as a child. Thank you for conjuring that memory in my head.
Thanks you two!
Christmas always carries with it that warm feeling....
I can also see how for some it might mean the opposite...
Post a Comment