Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sentinel Events

 I reworked and reposted my blog entry that I had deleted about Medication Errors....originally posted on May 11.   As you can see by the Graph nicked from Wikipedia - who obviously stole it from JCAHO,  medication errors make up a fair chunk of the Sentinel Event's pie.

Here is the Blog entry for this topic.  It tells the story of a New Nurse (me) who narrowly escaped adding to that yellow piece of the pie.......



2 comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

In the system I'm working with~bingo cards and MARs, med errors are very easy to make. There are warfarin doses that vary on say Tues and Thursday and then a diff dose for the other five days. If the admin forgets to XXX days a certain dose is not to be dispensed and one is in a hurray some patient may get a higher dose than planned......hypothetically speaking of course.

I'm thinking of going into construction btw.

Cartoon Characters said...

I always say, if in doubt, check the MD orders...but unfortunately, most places - it's the night nurse that checks the MARs against the MD orders....and so that means...your accuracy is only as good as the night nurse.....