Thursday, September 30, 2010

Flashback



The above video is disabled.  Find it here
This takes me back to the late 1960s...that era of folk and weirdness.  As a teenager I would grab my guitar on the warm summer nights that I was allowed to get away from work at my parent's resort, I would go - barefoot -  to the beach and we would sit around the fire and sing those songs of the 1960s that catapulted the  world into another era never before experienced.   Buffy St. Marie, Poppy Family, Neil Young, Ian Tyson, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, The Guess Who.....all those Great Canadian singers from that time.....it was just a different feel.....

Hello psychadelia and freedom.   I didn't experiment with drugs at all. It was all purely innocent.  The fun part of those days....but also the dark side too.  Self-doubt.  Questioning.  Withdrawal.  Suicidal Thoughts.  At the time I never thought for a minute that I would ever escape that era and those feelings and that time. I thought it would be that way forever.   Thankfully time changes things....and it really does march on.

In some ways there is a nostalgia, but in some ways a gratefulness that I never have to go through that time again.

And, for a moment, while I listened to Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.....I tasted the flavor of that time once again.....

1 comment:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

What a fun video! Thanks for sharing.