Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nursing: Performance Evaluation / Peer Review

Had a performance evaluation last week.

It was all positive


The week before that, I had a peer review of my work where myself and another nurse sits down and discuss several cases that I have handled.  It took about an hour and a half out of my working day, which in of itself is an amazing thing.

Can you believe that management even provided staffing to cover this time?

It was with trepidation I anticipated the evaluation because the person assigned to do it was not someone with a normally positive outlook.  It was my experience - in the past - that she was quite judgmental of other nurses' performances.

I was expecting, as is usually the case in nursing, that all the bad points would be found  - with glaring examples of everything I had done wrong.  Not that I could really think of anything critically wrong....but you know how these evaluations go......

Pleasant surprise.

I was told at the interview start that there was enough negativity in nursing - that we didn't need more of the same.

The management wanted  the positives highlighted....that each nurse does a good enough job of self-flagellation when reviewing her own work....and that encouragement and praise goes further to improve morale and thus perhaps improve nursing care.

The questions at the review end were:

1. What did you feel you did well in this instance?

2. What was your "takeaway" from this patient interaction?

It was a refreshing and positive experience and so unlike other performance reviews in the past whilst working in hospitals.

Apparently they are arranging monthly reviews.

I am actually looking forward to the next one - and at that time, I won't have so much of a knot in the pit of my stomach.

4 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Oh.my.goodness, that is so awesome CC! How wonderful to leave that office and click your heels over the way it went. I'm amazed at your place of employment and want to know where I can apply? :-)

Cartoon Characters said...

I am thinking most everyone will get a good report ....I think my employer is awesome....the worst day at my place of employment is better than the best day at any hospital I have ever worked....

It's not everyone's cup of tea...but it's the best experience as far as an employer that really cares.

:)

Betsy MacWhinney said...

Wow. That is excellent. It's about as far from my workplace as I can even imagine. It gives me great hope...

Cartoon Characters said...

Interestingly enough Betsy...I work for our government... :)