Thursday, July 7, 2011

24 hour Royal break

Prince William and Catherine had a 24 hour break.

So where did they go?

Skoki Lodge apparently.   It's located in Banff National Park.


Check out this blog that describes the lodge - plus photos!

The only way to get there is hiking in - 11 kms - four hours uphill  - using this map for directions - or if you happen to be royalty - you come in by helicopter.

The lodge was built in the 1931 and still has no running water or electricity (yes, they have outhouses - the Royal Loo!).  Very austere...but then, if you are coming to Canada - you might want to get that "backwoods" pioneer experience!

It certainly would give a little dose of reality for those in a world of Royal Protocols and such.



If I had my druthers....this is where I would stay
I would tend to forgo any sort of accommodation that is lacking the basics....but that's just me.   And I certainly wouldn't pay $265 per person for that kind of experience!

The Royal couple are young and love adventure, and might happen to think that a log cabin in the middle of nowhere is sort of - romantic.

Trip Advisor reviews on Skoki Lodge. Note the antlers!

I am pretty sure they didn't have to abide by the 2 night minimum stay - or if they did, the government of Canada picked up the tab anyway - for the entire trip, so what do they care.

I wonder if William chose the King-size bed?

No comments: