I have already done several specialty training courses in addition to the informal learning in the course of my career....as you can see by my sidebar.
I just really enjoy learning new things.
Problem is, I am now getting to the end of my career, and although I still love to learn and extensively read and study on my own.....I just don't have the interest in going for a formal degree.
The expense and time it would take would exceed the number of years left in my professional career and financially speaking, wouldn't be a wise thing to do. I don't want to be working into my 70's - and that's exactly where I would be if I ever made that decision.
Besides, as I have mentioned previously, I have many other interests - painting and all things creative - that I will eventually want to segue into.
However. I was asked if I wanted to take the Certification program for my present specialty.
Thinking it over, I thought....why not?
So, I have decided to go for it.
Again.
It's being paid for by my employer - I just have to make arrangements for it in my own time. It is a course that most nurses take two years to complete - but we are permitted to take up to five years.
I certainly won't be stretching it out to five. If I did, I will be at the cusp of retirement, so I am thinking I had better git 'er done in less than two.
![]() |
| or here is the expanded version |
I can't go into great detail about the course since it is for my present specialty, although some of you who have been following this blog o' mine from the beginning will know anyhow.
Tomorrow I will give you the general lowdown on the program.
I start it at the end of the year.
NPO, you are an inspiration. I thank you. You gave me the kick in the butt that I needed.
And - also - all you nursing student bloggers out there who have inspired me with your love of learning as you struggle through the processes. I thank you too.
Don't ever stop learning!


5 comments:
Aww you're the inspiration for us all R(etired)N, I get so excited that my career doesn't have to end at just the hospital. Actually partly because of all you've accomplished and how amazing you are, I have plans to get my experience in the hospital setting for "x" amount of years and move onto other things. Yahoo!
I remember my first class after deciding to go back to school. I decided to try one class, because I still had my doubts.
The instructor, maybe in his late 50's, one night gave me great inspiration.
He told of how his mother-in-law went back to school and got her law degree at 70. Very cool I thought as he continued to explain that she then became a local judge in her 80's and retired at 92.
If that had not been my first class, I might not have stayed in school. Because it hammered home that you are never too old to accomplish something.
Zazzy: Thanks for your comments! Although I really enjoyed hospital work....outside of the hospital is quite satisfying and stimulating!
NPO: wow. That is something. Retiring at 92! I really don't want to work that long! I am glad it inspired you!:)
CC, you're the inspiration for the rest of us. The passion for what you do is clear in your writing. Thank you for that. I can't tell you how many times I was discouraged in school and wandered over to your blog at 3am in the morning when I was just sick of studying. You are fabulous.
[And how great is NPO? I mean, really? The guy is awesome.]
Estelle: Well thank you! wow. I never knew! That made my day. Sometimes I wonder if I have anything left to inspire anyone.;)
And yes, I will agree. Mr NPO is very awesome! :)
I haven't been on the computer since the day before due to work. So just getting to this! ;)
Post a Comment