Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Given a Choice: Fight for Life

What with all the talk of death and dying in the news....and working with those with limited lifespans...one gets to thinking about what we are handed.

Why is it that some only live out their life in 8 years....or 13 years .... or 27??


And, why is it that some of us who end up living a life right to the end somehow don't appreciate the fact we are still alive?

Having lived through depression, it's easy to get wrapped up in all that is about "me".   I have experienced the darkness that comes with it....and how easy it is to forget that in the throes of the pain of living with depression - that some aren't even given the chance.

If we can't live any longer for ourselves....why can't we change our purpose and live for someone else who won't be living a long life?  Re-focus from "me" to "we"?

I think that's what nursing became for me at different times through the years.

At the times I didn't have the will to live ... and didn't want to live...  nursing and working to help others and live for their sakes was what I did...and it kept me alive long enough to get to the place where I could appreciate life and the value of living.

I took away so much more from patients than patients' did from me.

It's still that way but from a different angle.

Although I am in a very good and stable place right now, I still appreciate the good that nursing did for me.

I was watching the news this morning and  they were talking about a motorcycle fundraiser drive from Vancouver to Whistler this September...."Music Therapy Ride".
The Music Therapy Ride is an annual motorcycle charity ride designed to raise funds for community-based music therapy services in British Columbia. Established by members of the music industry, with representatives from record labels, radio stations, booking agencies, talent managers, concert promoters and recording artists, the Music Therapy Ride has broadened its reach over the years to all motorcycle enthusiasts.

the "Bandwagon" photo credit: MTR website

Today is the day that the "Bandwagon" - funded by this Music Therapy Ride - is delivered to Children's hospital in Vancouver, which will provide Music Therapists with a mobile recording studio  to allow each child to "create a permanent record of the music composed during their Therapy sessions" at their bedside.



Megan McNeil, singer, songwriter and someone who fought hard to live succumbed to adrenal cancer January 2011.  Visit her blog.  It gives you an appreciation for Life....and why it's worth fighting for.

This year's ride, celebrating it's 10th year, is in honor of Megan.

2 comments:

NPO said...

Thanks for the link.

If society could only change from the selfish theories they currently hold, the world would be a better place.

Cartoon Characters said...

How true NPO!