Friday, July 29, 2011

The Insidious Tylenol

Ok, so now the USA is on board with reducing the recommended daily dosing of Tylenol.....
why isn't Canada following suit?

thank you once again, wikipedia
It should have been done long ago.

It certainly isn't because Canadians are smarter about their use of Tylenol!

Believe me. They aren't.

I can't tell you the number of patients of mine that tell me they have just exceeded the recommended dosage by the handfuls because the normal dosage " didn't work".

Not that I have mentioned a caution about Tylenol in a blogpost previously - and the damage it can cause!


If the normal dose didn't work to reduce your extremely high fever:  get checked out by your MD (preferably before the office closes to avoid an ED visit!)  - the danger is with what's behind the fever - not the fever itself!

If the normal dose didn't work to make tolerable your extreme pain: get checked out by your MD (ditto the above in parenthesis!) - pain is there for a reason.  ( please note that I didn't say TAKE AWAY YOUR PAIN ENTIRELY)

And please, when you are dosing your children - read the labels.  There are so many products with multiple medications in them.   Try to use only those products that have single medications in them - and only if you have to.

Take the time to read the fine print. 

It may save your -  or your child's - liver.

56,000+ dying livers countrywide due to Tylenol use must mean something, after all.

4 comments:

NPO said...

All those younger days with a hangover and popping a couple Tylenol was probably not a good thing.

Your right look at what is behind the fever or pain. Sometimes your fever is a natural way for your body to heal itself.

Cartoon Characters said...

yes...that's true!The alcohol/tyl combo is lethal.

Exactly! A mild to moderate fever helps a body fight an infection - it's part of our immune system. All we are trying to do is make ourselves more comfortable with the fever...never mind that there are other things we can do besides pop a pill.

I guess it's that "instant" fix that everyone wants ....that drives them to take a pill instead.

People are so afraid of fevers when in actual fact they are part of our immune system and are helpful for the healing process.

THanks NPO!

Cheyenne said...

I also wanted to come back here and post a comment on this post, I read it awhile ago and thought you would be happy to know that it's changed my ways. haha! I take just one tylenol or advil now to start with and see if that helps...then take two later or whatever! ;) I also made my husband read this same post!!

Cartoon Characters said...

Cheyenne: I am glad to hear that something I posted has changed a person's habit for a healthier lifestyle! :) It makes it all worthwhile! and pleases me to no end! :)

Spread the word!