Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Cure

Got mail today.

My Union advises we don't tell our Managers anything about any illness we may have.  We are instructed to just tell them we are sick and that's that.  

Well,  I don't do that very well, because I happen to have a very nice Manager who is very compassionate and down to earth and, well.....I can't say enough about her.

So I have been telling her about everything every step of the way.....short of this blog of course.

Back to the mail.

Inside the bubble wrap envelope are two paperback books:

- "Beating Melanoma - A Five-Step Survival Guide" by Steven Q Wang M.D
- "A Melanoma Patient's Survival Guide: Lemons Really Do Make Lemonade*  *you just have to add a little sugar" by Sally Welsh

I had already stumbled upon the first book and ordered it from the library and am getting to the end of my renewal time and I was *just* thinking of perhaps going on Amazon and ordering it because I like it so much. 

I hadn't heard of the second book, but it's about one woman's adventure through Melanoma, but I am definitely going to delve into it - because lately I have had a curiosity of how other people have experienced it.

But, how thoughtful of my Manager to send me these books.

There are others that have been so supportive, some people I have never met in person but have met through Cancer Connection Canada and have chatted by email and shared their experiences.   You know who you are - and I am so very grateful for your words and encouragement.  It's like a lifeline being thrown to me as I am drowning in this sea of unknowns.

And then there are friends and family who buoy me up when I need it and make me laugh when I feel that I can't and keep me company when I don't want to be alone....

And there is my husband.  He is my Rock.  Unbelievable really.   I don't think it's just because he went through caring for his brother who died from brain cancer....I think it's just the way he is naturally.
Thoughtful, supportive, patient, loving......even when I am at my worst.

I have so much to be thankful for.... I am not even going to preface that with "I suppose".....because I know I do.

Now, please excuse me while I go read for a while!




6 comments:

NPO said...

After moving and starting the new job I finally got caught up on reading your new posts after your hiatus. Thoughts to you, and I wish you the best in your battle and recovery. Only you know how you feel and only you should decide who to tell and how much to tell. The union just follows the lines of their past experience. Are you reading a good book?

Cartoon Characters said...

Thanks NPO I appreciate your kind words - It's the Melanoma books I am reading....have been doing a lot of research and trials on Melanoma out there too.... Hope you are enjoying your new job! :)

Unknown said...

It's a glass half full kind of day :-) I've learned appreciation goes a long, lonnnng way in fashioning how I approach life on a daily basis. I see you do, too. Cheers XO

Cartoon Characters said...

Yep! Always 1/2 full! (Especially if it's wine in that glass!)

ohialehuadef said...

I'm glad that we have met - only wish it was under different circumstances.... I'd recommend "Anti Cancer" by David Servan-Schreiber - I found it very inspiring.

Cartoon Characters said...

ohi: I am also glad we met. You have been an inspiration and also a wealth of information! I too, wish the circumstances were different. - and I am going to get that book!