Friday, August 15, 2014

Life Insurance is just another Lottery scam.

So, the smart thing to do when you get a mortgage, is to get insurance.  Just in case.

Thing is, if you buy the insurance that they offer with your mortgage, you are actually going to be given less and less money if something happens to you or your partner, because as time goes by,  you pay down your mortgage  -  but you still shell out the same amount every month right to the end.

You see?  If you died in your last year of your mortgage - the way the mortgage company sells you your insurance, you would only get a couple hundred dollars if you are lucky, whereas the way we do it......my husband should be the lucky recipient of $250K no matter when I died.

So we mathematically figure out and  buy life insurance for the number of years we will have a mortgage,  which in this case was 10 years.

When I was diagnosed with cancer a month ago, I wasn't thinking clearly and I emailed my insurance broker that sold us the life insurance to ask how many years had passed since we bought it.  In my initial shock, I couldn't quite remember and I was too panicked to figure out where the paperwork was.

He told me 5 years, and I stupidly told him  I just was diagnosed with cancer.

Since then he has tried phoning three times, and has emailed me twice.  His emails expressed *sincere* concern, but to me, it just sounded a little off.   I didn't bother returning his calls or emails.  I was uncomfortable at the amount of concern he was showing.

I made the mistake of picking up the phone today - had to run all the way downstairs because I forgot to bring the phone with me upstairs - and I was out of breath as I said "Hello" !

I thought it might be my surgeon who was supposed to be calling me with the good news that he talked with Dr G - the MD that is going to do my lymph node biopsy.

No such luck.  It was the Insurance guy.

His first question?  "How are you feeling?"  In that quiet sombre funeral voiceI am sure that he thought he sounded sincere but something rang hollow.  Couldn't quite put my finger on it.

It almost sounded like he was digging for more information.  Trying to get a feel for how sick I was.   Is she going to die before the term of the insurance? Will we have to pay out?  I have never heard the same question asked in so many different ways.  "Are you ok?"   "Are you getting around ok?"

It was the most awkward conversation I have ever had.

So finally,  I replied "Weeellll, I am pretty sure my husband won't be collecting insurance money any time soon"

You would think he would hang up at this point.  It was beyond awkward.

I finally had to tell him I was waiting for a phone call.

Which I was - other wise I wouldn't have picked up that bloody phone.

Finally, at the end of the day, my Plastic surgeon phoned to say he tried calling the other surgeon - Dr G -  several times and the office wasn't picking up the phone.   I told him that they only take messages and then get back to you, unless of course, you have their personal cell number like I do his.

I suggested calling Dr M instead, that he would probably be the one to do the biopsy and might have some suggestions. Dr L agreed and I gave him Dr M's phone number.  He also agreed that I was falling through the cracks, mainly because he didn't know anyone around or who to go to for information since he was only standing in for the Plastics surgeon on vacation.  I reassured him that eventually we would find someone who knew how to do a biopsy.

******
I wrote the above narrative yesterday.  

Today Dr L texted me to say that Dr M's office was closed but he would phone him first thing on Monday.

*sigh*

 I really DO hate summers.

And next time I have to double check the caller ID when I pick up the phone.  I don't need any more calls from the Insurance guy who is all concerned about the possibility of me kicking the bucket before the 5 years is up.

He should know that Life insurance is just another Lottery scam, and I have yet to win.

Sheesh.


A road near us.  It's pretty country for sure!



No comments: