I told my husband that I can't wait for this 40C weather to end.
It used to be - when I was a little kid - that I couldn't wait for summer to get here!
It was exciting. Lots of other kids coming to our resort. Splashing in the lake. Wading out to Turtle Island. Hiking up the hills. Cousins coming to visit. I was the envy of my friends, living in resort country....on a resort!
![]() |
| Cousins that came to visit. I am 2nd from Left - blondie! |
When I turned Thirteen, things changed. Insidiously, summers turned into a work camp.
It started out slowly - just changing towels every other day..... followed by hanging the gazillions of towels out to dry... then the introduction of the ironing of millions of pillowcases.
By age fourteen I was promoted to cleaning motel units, cleaning the campground washrooms, waiting on tables, preparing for customers - basically round-the-clock labour.
Summers became work only - no fun.
Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining....as a result, I have a great work ethic!
The point is, something fun turned into something not-so-fun.
Summers are supposed to be fun - and they did become fun again once I got myself a career.
When I went into nursing, once again I could take vacations in the sun and spend time with friends at the beach or the ocean. Heck, I could extend summer and go to Mexico and do the endless sunbathing thing!
For 37 years, those delicious early summer years were back.
Sun equaled fun.
So.
Now I feel I am back at 13 again. I am looking at a mountain of pillowslips and towels and can't get to the bottom of the pile. I can't enjoy the sun anymore. Melanoma sucks.
Oh yeah. And I am running out of Ativan.
My MD (GP) appointment is Tuesday and I think I still need a half a tab now and then - so I am rationing for a while until I can get a refill.
Can you tell?
![]() | |
| Sometimes there were 5 barrels of towels. The leg behind dad is me or my sis. |


No comments:
Post a Comment