Sunday, August 31, 2014

Occupational Hazard: Latex

I knew I was allergic to Latex. 

Two years after I started L&D, I noticed a rash while wearing the only gloves supplied at the time - Latex.   There were no other options.  I started using the thin filmy plastic liners instead.

Because of my history with latex gloves, when I was booked for my cholecystectomy it was mandatory to have an allergist test me for latex allergy before I went for surgery.  Sure enough, I tested positive and became "officially allergic".



So, when I fell down some uneven steps while on vacation in Mexico a year and a half ago injuring my wrist (among other things - and no, I was not under the influence!) my girlfriend and I - both nurses - decided I didn't need to go to a hospital, we would just treat it ourselves.

What the heck, my tetanus, Hep A and Hep B were all up to date - it was just a matter of cleaning the scrape and reducing the swelling an inflammation.

I found out quite quickly that the ace wrap I applied had latex in it.   I should have thought before applying it, but I just didn't think.  At that point it was probably the pain killer (2 margaritas) that dulled my sensibility.

Then, when I got home -  I don't know how on earth it happened -   I fell down our stairs  (once again, no drinking  involved!) injured my same wrist and this time I thought I had better see someone about it.

I went to the Walk in clinic where the MD figured it wasn't fractured but he gave me a requisition for an xray anyway.

Bought myself a splint for my wrist to immobilize it - and realized how difficult it was to find a splint without latex.


Anyway.

After my melanoma surgery I needed to cover up my incision with gauze because there was a little bit of oozing  - and lo and behold - I get a rash where the paper tape was.  


See that red strip at the bottom of my neck? 

I guess I am also allergic to adhesive.

Aug. 1 2014 



this was Aug 19th.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Like Rosanne Rosannadanna said - It's always somethin'! http://philanthropy.com/blogs/social-philanthropy/files/2012/11/gilda112912.jpg

Cartoon Characters said...

LOL! Yep! :)

A Doc 2 Be said...

I had forgotten that I followed you when I fell off the Earth in 2012... am sorry it is under your diagnosis of melanoma that I found you.

BUuuutttttt, I, like you, am back.

Different circumstances.

In blogger support and camaraderie, I hope that the nasty 'noma never comes back!

Blessings!

ad2b

Cartoon Characters said...

Thanks Doc2be! I appreciate the blogsphere support! :) And I have my fingers crossed for 'noma free too!