Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sisterhood of Nurses

Had a delightful visit with old nursing friends from 30 - 35 years ago.    Hadn't seen either of them for at least 25 - 30  years.

It's amazing the things we talked about, everything from families to old nursing instructors to people we know - or used to know.   Can you believe we even remembered names of patients we looked after in the extended care unit when we first started nursing - 37 years ago? 

The visit was just an overnighter - a quick drive up and then back again to the home city.  But it did me a world of good.  There is just something about the Sisterhood of Nurses that is so different from any other friendships or family relationships.

I do have to admit, that in the morning, before they left, although I got out the loaf of bread and toaster, I was so caught up in the conversation that I forgot about breakfast.

I am sure they were ravenous and were just too polite to say - Hey, let's eat! - and they left with nary a bite!

I just haven't had an appetite lately with all the "stuff" going on, and I have lost about 10lbs in the last month.

At the best of times I have been known to forget to eat.

Moral of the story:  If you come to visit me,  remind me that we have to eat.  If you don't, you just may starve to death.

Hope you gals stopped for breakfast somewhere.

I am appalled at my lack of hospitality!

And I miss them already.
Peaches, a frog, wine, blackberry jam and antipasto - Thanks you two!








2 comments:

Unknown said...

There was absolutely NO lack of hospitality in this visit - anywhere, ever, anyhoo! What a hoot it was to reminisce but how sobering it was, too (not literally, OK?) to realize how many of our compatriots have left this earth. It's a reminder to grab life by the throat, throttle the living bejeebuz out of it, and enjoy every moment one can. As to breakfast, m'Dear...neither of us are big brekkie eaters and we were just fine. And yes, we filled up exactly when we wanted to so just nevermind. Coffee was EXCELLENT!

Goede leven - Wohlleben - bonne vie - buona vita - καλή ζωή!

Cartoon Characters said...

:) Don't let too much time pass for the next visit, ok?