Monday, August 22, 2011

You don't know Jack

...so I will try to tell you who he was.

An amazing man who believed in Canada, he fought for the greater good and a better society.

I respected him as a politician and a decent human being.

Leader of the Opposition in our Federal Government, our social conscience, he was always an optimist. Watch the first 2 minutes of this video - his life in a nutshell:



Just a couple months ago, he took a leave from politics for cancer treatment:



Jack Layton passed away this morning at age 61 from this new cancer.

Two days before he passed away he wrote a letter to all Canadians and ended it with this:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

He had a great sense of humor:







He was voted the politician that Canadians would most want to sit down and have a beer with.



His life truly was a life well lived.

6 comments:

Lo said...

Dammit......why do the Good die young?

Cartoon Characters said...

Lo: I feel hopeful though. You are still alive and you are very very good!!! :)

But yes, it is a very sad day here. He had so much potential. Flags are flying half staff over Parliament.

Cheyenne said...

My heart is truly sad. I believe so many Canadians are inspired and encouraged by his life-and truly will mourn.

Cartoon Characters said...

Cheyenne: You are right. No matter what political affiliation...I believe everyone loved the guy.

He was always so positive ....and he thought of those he worked for (every day Canadians) right up to the end.

Phiddy said...

I was leaving the house and was sitting in the car when I heard on the radio of his passing. I turned off the car, ran back into the house and grabbed hold of my hubby. I told him of the news... and we stood there and, yes.... we cried.

As an American, I was deeply and truly touched by the straight forward righteous politics of Jack Layton. He was a great man, a great politician and he stood and fought for the rights of all Canadians.

And, like Lo said... why is it the good die young?

Cartoon Characters said...

Phiddy: Yes, he was a great man and a great humanitarian. He never stopped thinking of his country and the common people. He had a PhD and had a privileged upbringing but he struck a chord with the average working Canadian....and right up until the end, he was worried more about the people, the country and his party.

He will be missed.