Everyone has seen this video of the otters floating while holding hands at the Vancouver aquarium:
Nyac was rescued from the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.
That's the year I moved to California.
She was rescued, one of the very few who survived and managed to live out her life at the Vancouver Aquarium. She was the only one to have a live pup. In 2008 she was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia - a known cancer in other animals, related to petroleum exposure - and died.
Sad news is, the second of the pair - Milo - has also now been found to have cancer and is losing weight. Apparently, news reports say he is undergoing "chemotherapy".
As much as I loved my cat who had cancer and died almost one year ago, I don't think I would have the heart to give her chemotherapy. Prognosis isn't good, and in her case, would have been inhumane treatment.
Of course, unless the definition of "chemotherapy" in this case is pain medication or antibiotics.....
4 comments:
Aww how precious! I've never seen this video before and I had to show my family. It's just amazing how God creates his creatures.
For sure! :)
I remember that video. Sad news but those otters made millions smile and remember how important a little touch can be.
I really liked the segment near the end of the first video where the otter reaches for the paw of the other one again...so sweet!
Post a Comment