She walked in casually, nicely dressed and makeup - immaculate.
![]() |
| Random photo from an ad |
"So what's going on?" I asked her as I welcomed her to the assessment room.
"I think I might have started labor" she replied.
"Are you having contractions?" Trying to get a take on what's happening.
"I think so." Still smiling. " I kind of felt a little pressure and thought I would come in to get checked"
That little key word: Pressure. She didn't look in any way distressed. Didn't look like she was in labor - yet she felt "pressure".
I quickly put her on the monitor to do a short strip. "Would you like me to check to see where you are at?" I asked.
"Why not? I am thinking it won't be long" It wasn't her first.
The thing about mom's in labor, you never really know what you have. I always believe the mom. I listen to her. That word "pressure" triggered something in my head - even though her behavior was nothing like that of most women in labor. You just don't know.
I checked her.
"Wow - congratulations! You're fully dilated!"
She laughed. " I thought so. I was really quick the first time!"
Moral of the story: Always listen to what the mother says. Never discount anything she tells you - even if you think otherwise. Although there are similarities generally speaking - there are always the exceptions. Pay attention to the mom - the monitor won't tell you the whole story in labor. Let the mom be "Queen of the Room" and allow her to dictate what she wants and needs. Every mother is unique in her needs and wishes - so listen to her!
You just never know.

9 comments:
This is completely true. A good friend of mine decided to give birth completely naturally. She got a book on the Bradley method and studied it hardcore, including practicing staying calm and going into a sleep-like trance.
On the big day, all her training came into place. She stayed home until she was in a serious mode and contractions were 3-5 min apart. When she got to the hospital, she went to L&D and told the nurse she was in labor. But Meghan didn't look the part of a panicky first time mother. The nurse blew her off without even checking her, telling her to go home and come back later.
Meghan insisted that she be checked.
She was 7 cm dilated and 90% effaced. She delivered within a couple of hours, I believe- and did it all without any meds, epidural included.
She's also a nurse and now my mommy hero! Wish she would've had a nurse like you who actually LISTENS to her patients :)
Brilliant. Now if more mat nurses would actually *listen* to their patients.........
Bella: The Bradley method is unheard of here where I live in Canada. I did run into it often when I worked in California. I really notice a difference between those moms who have taken some sort of prenatal class on coping techniques - and it really helps to have a doula or another support person... it is proven that those moms do much better.
RW: yes...."listening"...always good. ;)
Big difference between a well-educated multip who knows what labor feels like, and a primip who doesn't. I am much more trusting of the multip, instead of the primip who presents to L&D, smiling, "I think I'm in labor!".
Interestingly enough...moving back to Canada...I had so many more primips that just walked in and delivered than south of the border. I asked another RN who came from L.A. if she noticed it also....and she said "Ya...I thot it was just me"..... so I still listen to them.... ;)
I do believe the mom knows when...you're right, and especially that this lady had another baby before. I tell you, and I don't talk about having had my babe often, because I don't think everyone and their dog wants to hear a birth story, plus it's private...but the Doc told me that I would just 'know when' it was time to go to the hospital. I was considered high risk, so had an hour and fourty five minutes to get to the Foothills in Calgary and I had NO IDEA when it was time to go. I sat quietly in my green chair in my living room and almost delivered a baby in our vehicle, cause I seriously had no pickin clue. I'm so scared with the next one because I don't want to race to Calgary and sit in the hospital room when I labour, but how what else will we do? It went so fast...
:) I think, what I wish, is the Dr didn't tell me that I would just 'know when to go' but to trust my instincts, I kept telling myself when it was pretty bad, that it had to be worse, and I wish I would've just gone with my gut...
I'm rambling now...Mom's are allowed to, right?
Back in 1999 I *almost* went to work at the Foothills L&D! Decided not to follow that course, as it involved a relationship that I d/c'd...
That is a long way to have to go....if you live that far away it is always better to leave earlier than later....
I have to tell you, usually subsequent babies come in half the time - of course there are exceptions (namely my sis in law!) but if you delivered fairly quickly the first time, you might want to be prepared. Do you have midwives available to you? I suppose if you are more than 1/2 hr away from a hospital there wouldn't be the option of home birth... they do them here in BC and it is quite successful, when the midwives follow the guidelines set by the government.
It sure is difficult to determine the exact time....I agree, you don't want to be sitting in the hospital for the whole labor. :(
What some women have done when coming from up north at the hospital I used to work at - rent a hotel room nearby....but that could get expensive....make sure you plan your pregnancy so you deliver in the late spring, summer or early fall.... I honestly don't know how people do it...
The Doc said we should campout on the hospital grounds next time! ha! Yes, we have midwives and last spring AHC is covering them. I think we are one of the last provinces to have coverage for that-my sister in law's have had home births and have had great success. We have hospitals closer to us too, we just have to be at the Foot because of my history. Ugh...it is a great hospital because everything is there and you know if anything goes wrong, you have access to anything, but it reminds me of a busy shopping mall! Trying to jam on the elevators and all...and I was in for a shock when my husband wasn't allowed to stay over night! I'm used to hearing about all my friend's delivering in the local small towns, where their husbands bunk in for night, etc etc. I am grateful that we have such good hospitals in Calgary--it is far though.
ohhhh...that is sad that your husband couldn't stay o/n!! I am surprised too! 4 out of 5 hospitals that I have worked at in BC allowed daddies to stay o/n and we even allowed little kids to stay over to keep the family together - as long as they kept them in the room and they weren't running all over...that could be disaster - never mind dangerous for the kid...hospitals aren't kid proof... but we sure didn't mind them staying..
Post a Comment