Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Getting into the mood

My mother used to tell me stories of how she and her sisters would walk all the way from their house in Vancouver during the 1940s to the downtown which was at least 5 miles.  They would take the trolleys part way but there was still a lot of walking, since they lived a little out of the way from the main thoroughfare routes.   In the middle of winter, at times this could be a very wet and bone-chilling proposition. Or snowy.

They would make the time pass quickly by singing all the way. Music was a huge part of their lives - after all, that's how Gramma and Grampa met

There was always a concert put on at the local Catholic Church, and even though they weren't Catholic they would go to the Christmas Mass on Christmas eve,  and attend the local Christmas Concerts, especially when there was music.

Her favorite was Handel's Messiah.

I made a point of attending a Concert put on by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra and the Vancouver Chamber Choir (or the Cantata Choir or the Bach choir - which ever one's turn it was that year)  in 1973 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre when I was in my first year of college.  I will never forget it.   The music swelled throughout the building - reverberating in the rafters - leaving an echo after the last notes were sung.  I closed my eyes and imagined my mom as a young girl - with her family - listening to the same thing years ago.

My very favorite part, of course, was the  Hallelujah Chorus.

 And now, almost 40 years later, here it is - the same song - still as fresh as it was back then - sung via "flash mob" in  a mall in Welland Ontario - near Niagara Falls - just 10 days ago.....

It still brings a smile to my face....and I must admit...a little tear to my eye.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are really such songs that would get me into stopping whatever I am doing and reminisce the event in my life related to it. One of those songs was the one played while my wife was walking down the aisle during our wedding, while I was waiting in front of the altar.

Cheyenne said...

Amazing...

I love when you write about your family. I love the history.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Remembering singing this Chorus in front of a ride at Disney World in the early 70's as our Youth Group Chorus did a tour of South Florida and wound up our ten days with Mickey and Cinderella tearing up and surreptitiously wiping their eyes as we belted it out for the crowd.

Cartoon Characters said...

DigiCat: which song did your wife walk down the aisle to? :) Amazing how powerful music is. I can still smell the smells and feel those same feelings of music from long ago!
Cheyenne:thanks! I am always wondering if anyone is really interested...you've just egged me on!
Lynda:amazing how it brings tears! Funny thing - I sent the link to my mother - apparently my sister had just sent *her* the link to the Philedelphia Orchestra "Random Culture" on Youtube doing the same song...! My mom said it brought tears to her eyes watching it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU

apparently my sis had some friends in one of the participating singing groups that night...

Cheyenne said...

That first lady who stood to sing must have been so brave.

Anonymous said...

I lost track of how I eventually ended up here but glad I did. For my other half (notice I didn't say better) the start of Christmas is a trip down island to Butchart Gardens in Victoria to see the display there. I enjoy it as well but for her it is the start of the season.

Cartoon Characters said...

OOOh Butchart Gardens is nice. There are several others in the Vancouver area that are wonderful to visit....then there is always Stanley Park - The Christmas Wonderland Train ;) for the kid in all of us!