Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Remembrance Day Sale

Holiday Sales.

It is something every store chain has every holiday in the USA - at least -  if what I see on every American TV channel is any indication.

But try it in Canada....on a certain holiday.....and all that store gets is bad press.

As the story goes,  Eddie Bauer needed to dump some of it's merchandise in this "recession" market - so this past Friday, they geared up with their newly minted "Remembrance Day Sale".  Now,  I can see how a company that is based in the USA can make an error such as this - assuming that Canadians are similar to Americans - because after all, we do like a good sale just as much as our southern neighbors do!

An immediate outcry ensued - demanding that Remembrance Day should be a day of commemoration, with "admiration, respect and honour for our veteran" and is not meant to be treated as "just a holiday".  Veterans voiced their displeasure and Canadians quickly -  via Twitter and Facebook - took up the hue and cry to preserve this day as sacred and to denounce the intended Eddie Bauer Remembrance Day Sale as "disrespectful".

 As a result:

"Eddie Bauer president Neil Fisk issued a statement saying the Canadian sale was based on a similar promotion held in the USA.
The Remembrance day sale was meant to be the equivalent of the Veteran's Day promotions held in U.S. locations, he said.
We appreciate the sensitivity around this holiday and the feedback we have received.  We have tremendous respect for Veterans across Canada and the U.S. and will adjust our marketing accordingly," Fisk said. "***

 Going to their website, I see that they have withdrawn it's Canadian campaign, but I still see them advertising their "VETERANS DAY SALE".......



Which leads me to deduce -  according to what Mr. Fisk says - the company either only has respect for the Canadian Veterans....or they are really only responding to the pressure from their target shoppers - and there is no *actual* regard for any Veterans - whether they be Canadian or American.

I will let you decide......



$Cha-ching!$





***TheChronicleHerald.ca (Canadian Press)

4 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Nice one!

Crazed Nitwit said...

Very pointed and in my opinion, correct assessment. I have a huge amount of respect for veterans be they American or Canadian. I never met one uncle who died in WW2 flying for the Canadian Air Force. 2 other uncles fought for the US Marines. And now McArmy. Let's support our soldiers!!!!

Phiddy said...

I am an American living in Canada. I will tell you as a people we too celebrate our veterans on Veterans Day, the 11th. There is a big difference though....It doesn't have the fervor or, patriotism I feel from my Canadian friends for your own Remembrance Day. For some reason the day (to me)feels more intense here than at home.
I despair over having to say this but, the USA's Veterans day seems to be all about catching those sales as you indicated in your blog.

Cartoon Characters said...

I have 2 cousins - one presently in the US Army that was over in Korea and Iraq and one currently in the Navy as a pilot who was in the first Gulf War. My husband's father was a decorated US Marine...to me, on the 11th I remember both US and Canadain troops.
We may not always agree with some of the wars or some of the politics around the wars -and that is the right that our men and women have died for, but we must support our soldiers.

What other occupation asks you to give your life if called on?