I have actually removed 2 of my stories from my blog. They weren't "bad" stories, and in fact were more on the informative side, positive stories from more than 20 years ago, but unfortunately, our professional body doesn't have much tolerance for anything that appears to be "breach of confidentiality" and thus I have withdrawn them, just in case.
I had laundered them and then reposted after removing them the first time this past summer - but having looked over the "new" rules, I have come to the conclusion that an ounce of prevention.....
So, you might notice the only two stories involving *actual* patients (besides myself, relatives, friends and random people out there on the street or neighborhood)are removed - the stories about Amniotic Embolism and the Vanishing Twin Syndrome - because although they had educational and informative value - it may also fall into that grey area of confidentiality and the last thing I want to do is get in trouble with my Professional Body - even though I don't feel that I have given enough identifying elements and have changed the stories significantly - for my peace of mind, I have removed them.
I do know that our professional and licensing body does troll the blogs, and since a recent email was sent out informing all of the change in the Standards of Nursing practice as it relates to modern day technologies - I will comply.
Here is in part, some of their Q&A about modern technology on their site:
I had laundered them and then reposted after removing them the first time this past summer - but having looked over the "new" rules, I have come to the conclusion that an ounce of prevention.....
So, you might notice the only two stories involving *actual* patients (besides myself, relatives, friends and random people out there on the street or neighborhood)are removed - the stories about Amniotic Embolism and the Vanishing Twin Syndrome - because although they had educational and informative value - it may also fall into that grey area of confidentiality and the last thing I want to do is get in trouble with my Professional Body - even though I don't feel that I have given enough identifying elements and have changed the stories significantly - for my peace of mind, I have removed them.
I do know that our professional and licensing body does troll the blogs, and since a recent email was sent out informing all of the change in the Standards of Nursing practice as it relates to modern day technologies - I will comply.
Here is in part, some of their Q&A about modern technology on their site:
2 comments:
This issue has kept me thinking as to whether I should review my old posts especially those that involve patients. I tried my very best not to disclose any personal information though, but I think I should be more careful esp since this issue of confidentiality has got some people into trouble. Thanks for sharing this.
Where I live there are so few people in my province....it's such a small world....everyone knows everyone else and it doesn't take long to figure who is who....so I just don't blog about specific people that have been patients.... sometimes I will generalize, such as in the "Midwife Doc"...because it is so general...no one would be able to pick out any specifics. I may repost the ones I have with held after I retire for good - but by then - there would be no way to ID due to passage of time (I am thinking that 30 to 40 years later is fairly safe) and losing my license would be a moot point.
Post a Comment