I was over at the Man-Nurse Diaries reading some of his past blogposts. I ran across this one - "Dad's Prefer Breast Feeding" and had to chuckle - especially when I looked at his pie chart on why....
It reminded me of a story my mother told me once a while back (she would kill me if she knew I was repeating this, but, uh, oh well - there isn't anyone I know reading this anyway, except for my girlfriend Jan- and she knows everything about my screwball family so it's gonna be no big news to her!)
It is one of mom's own breastfeeding stories.
My mother breast fed all of her children - all five of us - in an era that encouraged bottlefeeding - the 1950s. Or - should I say - actively discouraged breast feeding, so I am quite proud of mom for doing what she thought right when there was so much pressure around her to give it up or made to feel somehow that it was wrong. It seems that milk production was not a problem for the women in her family. She took to it really well.
So well, it seems, that at times she sometimes had too much milk - if there is such a problem. (which I don't believe!) What to do when there was no baby around to feed and there is a little bit of excess and she isn't (for some unknown reason) wanting to pump and save?
So - fast forward to many years later when mom was in a group of women from her church who were discussing breast feeding. The Pastor's wife had just had her baby and it seems that she had the very same "problem".
Of course she asked my mother, being the experienced and wise sage in the women's group, what she did when the milk was overflowing and there was no baby to put to the breast.
Mom paused, slightly embarrassed.
"Oh, my husband took care of that" she replied sheepishly with a little smile.
Way to go Mom. Not the visual I really wanted.
3 comments:
Ohhhhhhh man...I like how you just shared that on the world wide web, too! I bet your mom would kill you!
Ya, that's why I laundered previous posts to eliminate the possibility of someone finding me out. I do have old photos and some chopped photos posted on here, but it isn't likely, given my smallish readership and the fact that very few Canadians are among this group....the story won't surface anywhere where it can be linked to her. I am not intending on revealing who I am on here either. :)
My mother, at age 80 (ooh she would kill me for that too since there is a whole year before she actually turn 80!) has a facebook account and emails constantly...but isn't among my readership. I do send her or read to her the occasional story, but she has no idea where my blog is.
:)
I am thinking, too - that if she first mentioned this to a PREACHER'S wife and then retold it to ME...that sort of says, she wouldn't perhaps be TOO bothered by it.
Post a Comment