Feeling very spunky, although overly medicated, I got my niece to drive me to the bank, then the local raspberry patch where I bought a flat of raspberries.
We really wanted to splurge and chow down on a whole flat, just us.
Before I could dig in, I felt this overwhelming need to vomit.
I am guessing the antibiotics are finally catching up to me.
I grab the little vomit bag I still had from my visit to the hospital in Yakima - in the days I still had a gallbladder. I hadn't used it so I thought someday it would come in handy and stored it in my "nursing room".
Just in case.
Thank goodness I thought ahead.
The phone rings.
It's my brother-in-law looking to speak to his niece that is staying with me.

BIL: "How are you doing"
Me: "Fine" (gasping to hold it in)
BIL: "Did Reb get there ok? How was her flight..."
Me: *vomiting* she's....in... *vomit* ...the shower..."
BIL: "I just want you to know we are praying for you...."
Me: *vomiting* ...can't talk now.... *vomiting*...bye...."
*click*
I can't begin to tell you how many countless phone calls I have fielded with people vomiting at the other end, and as a nurse sometimes it's a little disconcerting having to listen through the entire episode.
By hanging up so rudely, I was trying to spare my brother-in-law. After all, it's bad enough when you are used to hearing it....
Good news is, the construction of that little baggie with the round plastic solid opening.....everything was self contained. No cleanup! Yay! That's a small blessing when you are a nurse.
I had my niece phone her dad back to apologize and see how traumatized he was.
I am now taking gravol (dramamine for Americans) with my antibiotics.
After all, those raspberries won't wait!!!
| This morning: Quite a few pretty yellow/green bruises with patches of purple | . My hair full of polysporin. |
6 comments:
Good ol' Gravol!
Seriously, your incision is looking excellent! Maybe a bit pull-ish at the top there? In a year, people will just assume you're an MVA victim! So glad you're doing so well - and energetically so :-)
I swear, as the day goes on, the bruising is more and more evident. A lot more colourful now than this am!!! As soon as I can get rid of this nausea i will be ok!
Medical marijuana for the nausea! That's the way to go.
Actually,Phiddy, my friend has told me she is bringing me "special butter" for my toast if I have to go through treatment. lol.
Did you ever give nabilone for nausea in the hospital? I can remember doling it out to patients going through cancer treatment in the early 1980s and at the prison I worked at for patients going through interferon treatment for Hep C quite recently. It's a synthetic marijuana and apparently works really well. :)
In the States it was called something I can't remember. It came in these gelatin capsules with a golden liquid inside. The chemo and AIDS patients loved it as it worked so well.
Cesamet? I think that's the brand name now....
Post a Comment