Sunday, April 15, 2012

When to visit the MD? Dirty little Nurses' secrets....

I suppose this could apply to my husband.

I am always running interference with him,  trying to avoid an MD/hospital visit - even though neither would cost us anything extra, except for the time spent in the waiting room.....



My cousin is also an RN, and her husband agrees.  In fact, he says it's "waaaay worse for husbands".

I know, too,  that unless my husband is really doing badly - because I have seen much worse in the hospital - he doesn't get a lot of sympathy from me.

My best RN girlfriend's husband was really sick with the flu lately.....and what sort of sympathy did he get?   "I told you to get a flu shot"....and she continued playing Scrabble on her iPad.....

After working 35 years as an RN in the hospital system, on a scale of 1 to 10 on the Tragic Scale, you aren't going to rate very high, honey.   So, rest assured that if I don't panic....you are probably going to live, and it's not worth the excitement you might think it does!

I am wondering how widespread this phenomenon is????

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Guilty. Especially when it comes to my kids. 103 fever. They are not going to die we are not rushing to the ER. It's called fluids, Motrin rotate with Tylenol. As for my man.. He never goes to the doctor like ever. He got his first blood work at the age of 41

Cartoon Characters said...

Exactly! :)

Bathwater said...

I don't like going to the doctor but find myself going a bit more frequently now that I am older... perhaps twice a year. Last time I felt the need to go to the doctor my appendix was turning gangrene

Cartoon Characters said...

I haven't been back since my chest pain episode. I keep thinking I should....but am too busy/lazy/in denial. So much for socialized medicine...it's available but just can't be bothered. It will be my own fault if I drop dead one day, I guess....

kevel88 said...

I CONFESS YOUR HOLINESS!!! I AM SO GUILTY. Shall I do penance now or later. Now you got me started, you will get a whole blog!!
Once,I got a call from the school secretary that perhaps I should come pick up my son. . . he had fallen from the MONKEY BARS (the most common cause of injuries at school) and hurt his wrist. This being my second child, I was not about to be alarmed! I was quick to reply, Oh, can he move it. . . then he is ok. The secretary replied that he was not one to complain, and he was definitely complaining. I sighed and reluctantly collected him from school.Wouldn't you know it. . . he did have a broken bone. (As we waited in ortho,another kid was there with a broken arm and I asked him if he did it on the monkey bars. Yep! He did) Kev no sooner got his cast off and he fractured his femur the next week. ..I do listen to him now. And am glad we have good insurance!! Cause we have made so many trips to the ER.

Now my husband is a another story. . . but I'll stop at that. LOVED the card!!

KJ

Cartoon Characters said...

Kev88: Yep. Just as I suspected. There are many of us nurses that are guilty of this!!

Glad I am not the only one!!! :)