My mom and dad were married 60 years ago this year. They were married in Vancouver and took the train to Mount Hood in Oregon for their honeymoon.
While they were on their honeymoon, the news of the death of the King of England was announced. A new Queen was crowned and thus began the 2nd longest reign in the history of England.
This year, the Royal family is travelling to all the Dominion and make visits to all the countries that were once under British rule while the Queen fulfills obligations at home.
This past month, the Queen did something special for a newly wed couple:
Perhaps I should write the Queen and let her know about another wedding 60 years ago. A letter is usually sent in reply.
Mom and Dad will be very surprised.
They already have been sent a letter from the Premier (equivalent to a State Governor), the Prime Minister (equivalent to the US President) , the local Member of Parliament (MP - Federal Representative in their area), the local Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA - Provincial Representative in their area) and the Governor General (Queen's Representative in Canada).
One from the Queen in her Jubilee year would please them immensely!
Who knows? Perhaps the President may oblige.
After all, when my Grandpa turned 100 - then President Clinton sent him a letter of congratulations!
6 comments:
Congratulations to your Mom & Dad!! May they have many many more!!
Thanks Liza! :)
My folks almost made it to 60. They went to Monterey Bay and Crater Lake for their honeymoon. All still good spots to visit, as well as Mount Hood. Now that would have been a fun train trip. Did they get a sleeper or have to chair seats?!?!?
k-fro
Kev88: Aww. Sorry to hear about your parents...but it sounds like a great honeymoon. I should really ask my mom again what they did. I know the *special* that was advertised on their trip was $66 per week to stay at the lodge!! And I believe that included breakfast!
They probably stayed at the Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood. At that time, the lodge was beginning to decline and there were probably some good deals. It is a lovely lodge now and I remember skiing 4-10pm for $10 when I was in nursing school in Portland.
KJJ
I have actually never been there...not that I remember anyway....to mount Hood. I do have a giant thimble with the picture of Timberline lodge pressed in it. 60 Years old.
Post a Comment