Tuesday, October 19, 2010

More Tattoos and Alternate Gendered Nurses

Remember my girlfriend Jan?  The one that has a son with all the tattoos she hates so much (the tattoos - not her son!)?

She tells me he is now on his way to be in a fast track program to become an RN.  I am thrilled.  Although by looking at him you wouldn't know he would be the *type*.  Shame on me for stereotyping .... 

BUT.

He looks more like a bouncer -  or a prisoner.  No Mr. Innocent-looking here.   What with all his working out and tattoos.....as a muscle bound-tattoo-covered alternate-gendered nurse - he is guaranteed to be a head turner for sure.

I can't wait for him to dive into all the nursing curriculum and see what sort of take he has on it all.  Can't wait for all the questions he might have.

I will have to point him in the direction of a couple of blogs to read... NurseXY and Nurse J...and Tex.  I am sure he will find their observations and opinions helpful.

My girlfriend Jan is just hoping he meets a nice girl in the process and produces some grand-babies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what am I, chopped liver? ;)

I'm thinking the nsg school, particularly if they're up tight (and aren't they all?) will make him cover up the tats, lest he offend the delicate sensitivities of others.

Nurse J said...

well thank you. wish him luck, we're still outnumbered....

Cartoon Characters said...

geezz. I guess there are a few I missed out....that's what i get for listing out of the top of my head. I am just a lowly barely-read blog and i didn't think it would matter to people so much.... !!! ;)

ya. Not sure about the tats and school. I like 'em and would have no prob with them if I were an instructor. But then, you are looking at someone who has had every hair color on earth and has my own tattoos and had my ears pierced just before grad nursing training (twice! once for LPN, once for RN!) just because they told us we couldn't wear earrings. haha. What can I say, I am a 1960s/1970s rebel.

Ya NurseJ - sorely outnumbered. Sad really. Alternate-genders have a lot to contribute to the field of nursing.

NPO said...

More men are needed in the field.

He may be big with tattoo's but cleaning up various body fluids is a great equalizer. I remember the smell of C-diff wafting down the hall and knowing it was my patient, again.
And no matter how tough you think you may be we all know that nurse half our size who command respect and scares patients. Although many staff and patients need that.

Robert said...

Thanks for the shout out. :)

I have 3 tattoos myself, but lucky for me my wife insisted they be easily covered when I got them. My school made a big deal out of tattoos, and I almost got ticketed for it in my junior I semester.

I've seen hospitals be both ways about tats.

Best of luck to your friend's son. Nursing school is a great adventure, especially for us Y-chromies.

Cartoon Characters said...

Interesting, isn't it...the pickiness of nursing school....you would think that clean shoes and scrubs would be the top of the list. I got crap for Farrah Fawcett hairdo and earrings...not the work i did as a nursing student. Attitudes change and in 50 years I will bet something else comes up that they will make rules about now the caps and aprons are out the window.