| Benylin for congestion, Dayquil, Airborne, assorted Buckley's, Cotridin, Mersyndol Cough lozenges, puffer and lots of water....... |
The week after Christmas I lost my voice and started coughing. And coughing. AND coughing.
I was pretty sure I hacked up a lung. I resorted to Buckley's Mixture and also threw in a couple Mersyndol (antihistamine with codeine and tylenol) and continued to use my puffers and when I wasn't sucking back the Buckley's....I was sucking on Halls lozenges. My dear husband went out and got all our supplies, plus juice, plus a vaporizer.
Finally, I decided - since I couldn't sleep more than 1/2 hour without having my cough wake me up....I thought I would visit the local WIC for an RX for Codeine cough syrup. It had been 4 days since I got more than 2 hours sleep.
I was desperate. And near delirious.
There was no one else in the waiting room. It made me anxious - did everyone else know something I didn't? After the preliminary bookkeeping, I was escorted to an examining room.
Doc enters:
Doc: "Hey there, how are you?" He looks like he could be Bill Murray's brother.
Me: "Well, I have been better but I need help with my cough. Lungs are clear ( ya, I used my own stethoscope) and I don't have a fever. Don't want or need antibiotics - this is probably a virus - I've coughed up all the phlegm I can and now I just need something to cut the cough long enough so I can get some sleep. I am taking guaifenesin Buckley's during the day...."
Doc: " How about some Cotridin (higher octane cough medicine than what one can get OTC)syrup?" as he listens to my lungs. "All clear" he proclaims. Yup I knew that.
Me: "Sounds good. Thanks! Oh, and by the way, I need one more Hep A immunization if you don't mind.....if you could add it to the RX???? Thanks!"
And I was out the door. I felt like I had just had a "Groundhog Day" experience.
Picked up my cough syrup, more Buckley's and cream for my coffee.......and wandered on home.
Fastest I have ever seen a MD and got my RX filled - ONE hour total - from home, to WIC to drugstore and home!
Must be some kind of record. My husband was disappointed that I didn't bring him home a pizza.
I am sitting here awake.....waiting for the codeine to kick in.
Still coughing.
Get me the Buckley's. Taste's bad. But - at least it works.
Taste Tests done for Buckley's, FYI:
Now you know why my blog postings have been few and far between as of late.
* I had just finished work (no patient contact, isolated in my office) and my own MD was 1 1/2 hr drive away....thus the late WIC visit.
3 comments:
Here’s to meds that work and privacy in our jobs. Hope you feel better soon.
Hoping this passes soon! Feel better!
Oh!! feel better!!! I had that when I was in europe in the fall. Ended up on steroids as my peak flow was in the toilet and getting air in/out was crap.
*smish* get better!
xx
C.
Post a Comment