Monday, January 24, 2011

Upper Respiratory Infections

My first year of University found me living with a room mate diagnosed with TB part way through our second semester.

Luckily, I didn't get TB - but I was diagnosed with pleurisy and ended up having to take antibiotics....but since then, I have experienced restriction in my lungs.   When I sneeze or breathe really deep, the chest pain is excruciating.  When I get an URI - it seems to be worse than your average joe experiences.  I have puffers that I use, just so I can get air.

When I was an LPN just starting out - it was routine to have X-Rays done yearly because they did not do the standard yearly Mantoux testing.   Without fail, the hospital's health nurse  would always call me over to her office for post X-Ray counselling.....

"They found extensive scarring on your lungs on your last CXRay....did you know....?"

And I would always reply, "Yes,  I had pleurisy when I was 18 and my lungs always show the scarring"

A few years ago, an Xray for my MVA injury showed up incidental "nodules" on my lungs.  Subsequently, I had to have a follow-up CT scan.   The "nodules" were benign, so they said. 

My last trip to the walk in clinic - the MD said to me - "Your asthma seems to be in fairly good control".

I had to tell him that I don't have asthma. 

I don't know what gave him that idea unless the fact that I had had an inhaler prescribed for me for a reactive lung problem a while ago might have made him think that.

I was working L&D in a busy unit and the spray cleaner that was used on a nearby stretcher caused my respiratory system to spasm so badly - I couldn't breathe.  Talk about scarey.  An anesthetist coming down the hallway towards me asked if I was ok. If it wasn't for one of the OB's standing nearby loaning me his salbutamol inhaler, I would have ended up in ER.  Or dropped to the floor.  It was good to know help was so close, just in case.

It reminded me of the pregnant RN I worked with in L&D in California - dx with a placenta previa but still working.... even after she was ordered on bedrest.  She also figured it was safest to be at work. Help would be always close by.

I went to see the Occupation RN for the hospital.  Her take? I would require allergy testing to see if I was "actually" allergic to the cleaning solution (I had reacted the same way with every other hospital using the same cleaning agent - all whom switched to squeeze bottles rather than aerosol - or switched cleaning solutions entirely) but "even then" she stated, "if you test positive for an allergy to that agent, the hospital would change nothing"

I was fortunate that the cleaning staff were very particular and considerate of my plight and would always check ahead of time to see if I was on shift and make sure I was nowhere around when they used their cleaners.

I'ts been two weeks since I have been sick and I am still coughing up "gunk".   It always feels like mucus hangs out on top of my palate in that space.  When I cough there is that harsh spasmy sound.

At least I am breathing and feel like I am getting enough oxygen.  I don't have a fever, either.

The good news?

I found an ad in the local newspaper for an MD within 2 blocks that is now taking patients so I won't have to drive 100kms to see my MD.  I looked him up under Rate MDs dot com  and found out that people are making the exact same complaints of this doc as my former doc (esp complaints such as #2,#6 and #8 - oh and complaints about the laptop use and the decor is "too casual"). 

That shows me he must be pretty good.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Hey CC, good luck with your trip to this new doctor and your breathing condition. Seems like you're feeling pretty helpless and no one likes to feel that way. Keep us posted as to what happens after your visit. I'll be praying for something positive and relief.

Cartoon Characters said...

thanks ZazzyE! I think i will need all the prayers I can get... ;)