Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let your kids Eat those Bugs!!

Interestingly enough, people do seek care for children (or selves!) swallowing insects by error or whatever.   I always wonder about these concerns and why they think that eating a bug might be harmful.  I know when I was a kid, I ate a multitude of bugs and never got sick. Not once.

Well, here is proof positive that you can eat an assortment of insects and you will actually BENEFIT from it.  Apparently, there is more protein in an insect (90%) as opposed to beef (40-70%). 

Due to the ever-decreasing world food supply, it is suggested that perhaps we might switch over to insects as an alternate food source.

Children don't have problems eating insects - but adults do.  It's mainly a psychological thing, really, they say.  Apparently it is suggested that if we at least try insects in our diet and get used to the taste and the texture - we will then be able to overcome our acquired distaste for anything crawly.

Curiously, someone is certainly buying up all the stocks of meal worms at $10 per thousand - and there is now a national shortage of them.

Personally, I would go vegetarian before eating insects.  I know I have tried snails and thought they were OK, and occasionally have eaten the occasional accidental fly, ant or salad worm.....but I am not sure I can overcome the brain-block in order to enjoy such indulgences.

3 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

I don't think I'd be willing to eat a bug unless it was the end of the world and I had to. Or by eating one you could lose 10#'s or something neat like that haha. But my concern is just imagining how many spiders the average person may accidentally swallow while their mouth is open while they're sleeping. Yuck!

Cheyenne said...

I think I would have to agree it is a psychological thing and mercy, it's one thing I don't want to work through. eeyuck!

There were four children preschool aged in your home when you were small? Your Mom must've been a patient soul.

Cartoon Characters said...

ZE: I have heard mention about swallowing in the spiders while sleeping - I wonder if that actually happens? I would rather swallow a spider than be bit by a bedbug tho! :)
Cheyenne: Yup. Four. I know my mom almost went crazy... ;) She keeps apologizing for what she did to us back then, but then was then and now is now and really, what did people really know back then? There weren't any books to offer advice and people did what their parents did to them.... :) I think I turned out ok, so it all comes out in the wash!