As you can see, I have a "Opinion Poll" question on the right. You can check off more than one...to allow for the "Wish I were / Wish I weren't" at the bottom of the choice selection. Humor me. :)
I read a blog regularly called "Gray Matters" - a Widower Blogger. He was lamenting because he only has 9 "followers" and no one had commented for a long while, so he was getting discouraged and thinking of quitting his blogging, thinking no one was reading it. I tried my best to encourage him by telling him that we don't always get comments (hardly ever- unless you are hugely popular) and just because no one comments, it doesn't mean you aren't being read. Even if you aren't being read.....what does it matter? Nothing substitutes for a catharsis.
I enjoy reading his blog....I have followed his blog from the beginning - as he tells of his journey from Independent Working Person in Oregon - to a Retired Person in a Retirement Home in Washington State. He writes of his adjustment to living with a bunch of old people...how the old women view him as "new meat".
It chronicles the conflicts and trials of life in a place that is perhaps turning out to be not quite the heaven he thought it might be and the tribulations of being elderly with not much money. It is a glimpse into the mirror of our own future....what is in store for all of us if we don't prepare for the future. In his case....he doesn't have much because most of his life - he was helping others - giving away what little he earned.
He tells a compelling story. He doesn't know it - but he was my inspiration to start blogging.
I then started thinking.....I think it is mostly Nurses reading my blog....I wonder where they are in their Nursing career? Are they mostly near retirement? Just starting out? So I thought I would throw it out there and see what comes up.
Like I said. Humor me. :) Making me happy is just a click away.......

6 comments:
You have been a help to me. I wouldn't say I was discouraged enough to consider quitting. I like writing too much. Mine is a random thoughts blog. You got most of who I am right. True I live on very little, but I am actually enjoying the journey. I don't need much and do not dislike the survival battle. I feel it puts me in touch with the majority of retirees. I have made some major adjustments and even have some left over each month. Of course, I am putting that away for the next car breakdown. Just glad i can do that.
You were a big help. I may know more in the future. I wouldn't say I was discouraged enough to quite blogging. I really enjoy writing. Besides, what else would I do? Sleep! But like all of us, I am encouraged by comments - any comments, even corrections and rants. Of course, I prefer kindness. I write to express the humor of my situation. I find life in "The Home" a hoot (who says hoot any more?). I laugh at most of it. It was a former student who encouraged me to blog. It's an emotional release. Love your comments and the help you have provided.
I'm here reading too. I know, lack of commenting can be discouraging but we all just keep on keepin' on.
Cat's out of the bag - So now u know that you were MY inspiration to blog! :) I think you are an amazing person! :) Thanks for all your encouragement! :)
and by the way.....I say HOOT! :)
RW: I know...sometimes one does wonder if anyone really reads the blogs....but it is way too fun writing the blogs....even if I am the only one reading them... :)
I really do appreciate the comments tho! ;)
Post a Comment