After I posted this video yesterday on my Facebook, my mother commented beneath, " That lady looks like my MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!"
To which I replied, "Mom: You are in denial. SHE looks like YOU!"
Which - she does.
It's funny that I had posted the same thing on my own blogpost....that the little old lady looked like MY mother - not my grandmother!
I guess in a few years, I might be looking like my mom. Or my grandmother.
Memories of a discussion with my mother approximately 20 years ago popped into my head.
While discussing years gone by, I had asked what age she felt in her head....and she replied that she felt the same as when she was 18, which was difficult for me to equate at the time.
| my mother a million years ago |
Through the years we gather knowledge and experience and our mind grows and our ideas expand. We mature (hopefully) and grow spiritually and socially. Eventually it gets to the point where we may still feel young - but our body shows otherwise.
When I was younger, the idea that someday I would get old just didn't gel. (Lo, you hit the nail on the head!) I was in denial.
Getting old? Not me! I would be the exception.
I had decided that I was not going to fall apart and have body functions doing things that I don't want them to. I wasn't going to be that old person who would fart at inappropriate times and, somehow, my age lines wouldn't resemble my mother's. My joints were going to move without creaks and cracks, thank-you-very-much.
I wasn't an exceptional beauty growing up, but I must admit - I always had the attention of the opposite sex, even though I didn't really pay much attention to them.
Now, as an older person (ouch!) one notices the absence of male attention and one has no choice but to accept the fact that age is a very real thing that actually does creep up on one! All those old people I looked after for the last 35 years are suddenly - me!
*There. I said it.*
Not that I really care now about less male attention any more than I did when I was younger. It's just that when something you took for granted that was an everyday thing is now absent.....well.....you notice. It hits you smack in the face.
Men aren't hit so hard with the facts, interestingly enough. Take my cousin's husband for example:
It struck me rather funny the last time I was visiting them - the story he excitedly and incredulously told the group about how some young chick was "coming onto him" at the golf course. I laughed at him (yes I did!) and with an attempt at a reality check - corrected him...." For gosh sakes, Tom - she was only trying to wheedle a good tip out of you...she probably thought she was being nice to some old grandpa ....not flirting!!!! "
![]() |
| what men see |
My cousin's husband is in denial, or blind, but maybe that's because he's a guy. And no, my comment that I countered with didn't crush his ego.
Typical.
I think women are more realistic about things like that.
So, for you young persons out there.....just sayin'. It will happen to you someday, and unless you are incredibly wealthy and can afford the "fixes" ( come on, do you really want to look like a plastic corpse?)......you will be in my boat someday.
But - don't let it stop you from enjoying yourself:
Pay attention to what is now - and savor every bit of life. Don't ever let depression get in your way.
Do things you want to do now. Laugh often. Smile at strangers. Do things that make you feel good, and doing good things for others will do that for you.
Don't wait for others to catch up to you. Charge on ahead - and let others follow.
Take advantage of every opportunity and don't let life "just happen" to you.
Learn from your mistakes and see them as opportunity for growth rather than a negative thing. Move on and don't waste what time is left. Throwing good after bad doesn't fix things!
I wish I had learned a lot earlier what I know now, but that's what happens. Even if someone had told me these things.... would I have listened?
Probably not.
It's the curse of being young.
So, back to my mom.
She thinks the lady in the video looks old - like her mom. I think the lady looks old - like my mom.
I am sure if I had kids....they would say she looks old....like me.
Lucky for me, or maybe not so lucky for me- depending on your situation.....I have no one that can say that to me.
At least I am not in denial. I have no illusions whatsoever about what I look like now as an older person.
But - It's all good.
...........Really!

4 comments:
Loved your post.......your thoughts and mine go very well together.
And thanks for the plug.
Lo: Yes they do! :)
I loved your post too! :)
Funny, many men are like that. However, I think it is changing because now they have to see in shape male models daily that are sex symbols. The same way women have had to see all those unrealisticly skinny models over the decades.
NPO: Hopefully it's changing. :)
It's awfully embarrassing for them....in our eyes....
Post a Comment