A blog entry usually takes me only a few minutes...after all, all of my nursing "paperwork" involves the computer keyboard - and I am now fairly proficient at 65 wpm. This entry, I swear, I am typing maybe .125 wpm ...finger pecking with my left hand is NOT very efficient....you have no idea.....
Yesterday @ work, when finishing up a client's file, a sudden "snapping" type pain zapped my wrist.
"CRAP!" I yelled.
Normally, I work from home, but today was an office day, so the Supervisor who heard my scream from across the building, came to investigate who died.
After icing my wrist, anti-inflammatorizing myself and filling out the ensuing paperwork, I was sent home...to see an MD.
Three walk-in clinics later (the first 2 were too busy and weren't accepting any more patients for that day) I finally drove the hour home to the clinic near my house where I was surprised to find that I was only ONE of TWO patients!!
WOOO-HOO!!!! That NEVER happens! That alone deserves a post!
Let me interject here that we moved to this community 4 years ago, and because of the MD shortage (well, generally there is a shortage here in Canada of ALL medical personnel) I can't get an MD in my own community...so I keep my Family MD who's office is 1.25 hr's drive away and just use my own triage skills and utilize the local walk-in clinic if only absolutely necessary.
The lineups are usually horrific - but - Miracle! I was seen within 10 minutes!!!
Wow.
That must be some kind of record...duly noted.
The kind doc examined my swollen wrist and diagnosed "tendonitis" (Incorrect dx btw...but he was an ancient prison doc..what can I say?). Thought it was something to do with my wrist, but the Compensation Kingpins demands that someone with an "MD" after their name says so on their paperwork.
SO - I am supposed to TOTALLY rest my wrist. This means not only NO WORK for a week, but NO COMPUTER keyboarding - TOTAL REST OF MY RIGHT WRIST..........WTFlip???
No can do.
I am a computer junkie. I got my first computer in 1995 and haven't looked back!
I even met my husband online (thank-you yahoo!) ....how am I supposed to survive??!?
I now have my R wrist wrapped with a tensor bandage (that's Ace wrap to you American nurses!) with my thumb immobilized per MD advice....and I am painstakingly finger picking with my left hand. Tedious to say the least. This MD visit/injury thing takes me back to all the times in the past that I have been a patient myself.
I had my tonsils out at age 31. If you have ever looked after a post op tonsillectomy ...you might think ....no big deal. Let me tell you, if you are going to have a T&A performed (and by the way, why is it when I am looking for photo illustrations-they are ALL of little kids?) - I can't stress enough - HAVE IT DONE WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG.

I don't think I am a big baby. OK....well, I am a little needle phobic. I've already admitted that.
Several times.
And YES, I know that nurses make the worst patients, but IT HURTS. Months later. And whatever you do, drink WARM beverages - NOT cold.
Cold creates unbelievable painful spasms in the throat. Ice cream and Popsicles post op are for kids.
Take my word for it.
If your adult T&A patient is carrying on a little excessively - take it from me - they aren't kidding....and they aren't drug seeking when they ask you for something to kill the pain.
Funny thinking back on that hospital stay. Hmmmm. Here's a thought.
I should reminisce a little on my own experiences on the receiving end of my hospital stay (and thus the #2 blog below) ....but - tomorrow. This teensy little blog entry has taken me a whole flippin' 5 hours...........and I am exhausted and frustrated.
Besides, it's ice and ibuprofen time......maybe I'll have a little Baileys with that ice......and continue tomorrow...... *cough cough*
...a little bit of medicine won't hurt.....will it? ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment