I just realized I left you all hanging.
I finally got that urology consult.
It only took a week but you know how long a week takes when you are waiting for information. My 'nurse brain' was telling me that one week wasn't going to make any difference, but the patient in me was getting anxious about the wait - and the wait was heightening my anxiety.
The 'nurse brain' observed with interest the patient in me panicking.
My RN girlfriend obliged to accompany me the day of my Urology visit.... you know, the one that I worked with at the prison. I have mentioned her in past posts.
She knows every urologist between here and Vancouver due to a family member with renal problems - and also from working in PAR in the local hospital.
When the doc finally called us in to the office - it was like homecoming week. The first 10 minutes of the consult was the two of them catching up on their subsequent lives since last they worked together.
Then down to business.
Once he knew we were RNs, he felt free to talk "medicalese" while explaining what was going on with my kidney. For nurses, "medicalese" is more accurate when it comes to the nuances of what is going on, rather than the generalizations of what your average patient might get. He pulls up both the actual CT and ultrasound and goes into great detail about what we are looking at. I get up and go behind his desk to look over his shoulder and look a little more closely at the forms on the screen, feeling free to ask questions.
I verbalized my concern about the conflicting reports and asked why - if e CT is the "gold standard" - why would they be leaning more to relying on the results of the ultrasound?
Seems that the cyst - or whatever the 'thing' is appearing on my left kidney - is so small at 2 centimetres, it is difficult to accurately determine but "probability based on the ultrasound" says its a cyst.....but just in case, he is going to recommend a repeat ultrasound every 6 months for the next couple years with his follow-up visits just to keep an eye on it.
Apparently, stats show, even if it is carcinoma, renal cancer is slow growing and the chances of metastases at his size of tumour is about 1.1% and at the moment, so he says, it's more prudent to wait and see. He pulled out his charts and pointed out the red line where he would start to do something about it - at 3 centimetres.
I was content with that (albeit slightly uneasy) because my girlfriend had been to her own MD the day before ( his office was fortuitously shared with the said urologist), and he had replied to my girlfriend's inquiry about the MD Urologist neighbour, " You never heard it from me, but he tends to be a little 'knife-happy'".
A "knife happy" MD that says it's best to wait - well, there is some reassurance in that.
There is also some reassurance in the fact they will keep a close eye on me. Between my q6 month dermatology appointments and my q6 month urology visits....I think I am covered - for now.
I also give credit for my coping skills to my daily dose of cipralex that I have been on for a month now.
Meanwhile, it's daily inspections of my lymph nodes and the occasional ibuprofen for the kidney pain....although I try not to overdo it on the advice of my girlfriend Laurie who was manager of a Renal Unit in a hospital I used to work at.
And, I am still off work. Those pesky little panic attacks hit at the weirdest times but I am trying to control them with relaxation techniques and visualization - the advice I have often dispensed to my own patients - and I am starting to think that my own advice has been a lot of smoke and mirrors - because it's not working......
But, at least I am hopeful it eventually will.
So, as we left the urologist's office, I am sure the waiting patients must have wondered at our discussion debating about how lung cancer wasn't the best diagnoses and if one was to have renal cancer, well that's the one to choose......

5 comments:
Love to you, today.
Yes, it's in the quietness and trust we find strength...although the trust for me is hard to rest in, and sometimes dulling the noise in my head to 'quiet' seems to be easier said than done.
In it all, know you are loved.
I was glad to see a blog post finally from you, waiting to hear how you are was hard but, it's even harder being on your end. And, I have heard that one about renal cancer being the one cancer to have if you are going to get cancer. Warped, is it not?
I wish you a Happy New Year and a healthier 2015.
Big hugs from Ontario.
Thanks Cheyenne! Yes, easier said than done for sure. Slowly getting there. :)
Phiddy, dear friend. Sorry, don't mean to worry anyone. Thanks for your wishes!
Thanks to all my fellow bloggers.... to you all a Very Happy New Year. Before the end of this week I will post an update.
Yes, we need an update. How are you doing? Any final results. Are you feeling better and getting more energy?
THinking of you!
KJJ
So what's been happening with you? You just seemed to disappear! How are you doing? I seem to have lost your email and all. Is everything going ok? Watch and Wait? I say Waiting and worrying!!
ANy way--let me know! Here or FB or my blog. . .
A new year, a new beginning!
KJF
Post a Comment