Sunday, November 13, 2011

Grandma's Nursing Pin from 1922

Here is my post on How Grandma Decided to be an R.N.

My cousin came to visit from Texas and brought along a HUGE surprise for me!

My Grandma-the-Nurse's nursing pins!!!!

"ver: tot CHR: verzorging van krankzinnigen" or
 "Christian care for the insane"(per my aunt)
Grandma worked at a psychiatric hospital

She graduated in June 1922 after 4 years of training

This is the Hospital at which she trained

This is the Star of David, given to the nurses who worked at the Jewish Hospital

The back of the pin.  Notice the initial lettering on the back of one of the points

Close-up of the initials:  "G.B."
No one is really sure of what those initials stand for....
my Grandmother's Nursing Graduation photo: She is in the back row, 2nd from Left

6 comments:

NPO said...

Very cool.
Care for the insane, that describes regular nursing these days.

Waiting to hear about your school starting in the new year.

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Wow, that is a neat pin and Star of David pin. Just like NPO I can't wait to hear of your schooling starting next year. Maybe you've written a post about it, but I'm playing catch up now with reading blogs.

Cartoon Characters said...

NPO: certainly does! :)

ZAZZ: I haven't written anything yet. Just signed the course off with my employer who is paying for it. :) Will keep u up to date!

EDNurseasauras said...

Such a cool piece of memorabilia! I bet grandma must have had some stories to tell. Used to listen fascinated in my late teens as some of the senior nurses talked about their war time experiences...WW II, Korea. Great nurses all. Incredible role models

The Nerdy Nurse said...

Tiny little piece of nursing history hold in your hands. I'm a first generation nurse and first generation college graduate. Wish I had an ancestor's pins to call my own.
Very very cool.

Cartoon Characters said...

EDN: I wish I would have listened to more of Grandma's stories. She was the "midwife" on the prairies. I have written about her adventures (that we know of) if you click on "Grandma/Midwife" in the column on the right of my blog. Thanks for reading! Love your blog!

Nerdy: Yes, I am fortunate to have the pins...funny thing, I didn't realize my Grandma was an RN when I went through training .... sad that I didn't pay more attention and ask more questions. I was lucky I had an aunt that did pose some of the questions. Would have been more details related to nursing if I had thought to ask.... :(