Saturday, June 19, 2010

Toast to my Father-In-Law

I didn't know my husband's dad very long before he tragically passed away.


He was a Marine and served 3 years of active duty in Korea and was awarded the purple heart. My husband says he didn't talk much about what went on there, but from what little information was offered, it was quite horrific.

family photo

Life was difficult in central Washington state and it was a struggle for the ex-Marine to make a living, trying to raise a family.

There were other obstacles to overcome. You see, my father-in-law's heritage was Apache/Comanche/Hispanic. It didn't seem to matter that he served his country well and suffered as a result. He wasn't "white" and people made sure his kids didn't forget this.

April 2007 my husband and I had the privilege of being present when his dad passed through to the other side. One week before, he had driven 300 miles to see his newborn grandson. He had always wanted to see his name carry on, and finally - the much awaited grandson arrived - born 4 weeks premature - and Dad had his wish.

He suffered a massive stroke and spent a week in the ICU before the decision was made to discontinue all life support. He lived another four days on the general ward. My husband's sister and mom sat with him during the day, we spent the nights. The hospital was kind enough to allow us the use of the 2nd bed in the two-bed room. My husband slept while I got up every two hours to turn him and give mouth care and rub his back. I told the nurses not to worry about us, I could look after him.

When his last couple of breaths were imminent, I woke up my husband and he held his dad's hand and whispered his goodbyes. No matter what his life was like, it was this man that influenced my husband to be the man he was, and I will be forever grateful.







Truly, the ultimate in life is Death, for there in lies the Reason men strive to make their mark in life.

Posted by A NURSE at 7:15 PM



1 comments:

Personal Injury Lawyers Liverpool said...

Perfect family photograph...

June 21, 2010 1:56 AM

No comments: