Saturday, June 26, 2010

Eating Placenta....

Saturday, June 26, 2010


Eating Placenta....

Disclaimer: Not for the queasy



Ok...trying not to be judgmental...but you would never catch me doing this....




OR this.....




I have had some people take theirs home to plant under a tree....which my old roomie says is a Fijian tradition....but I can't even eat LIVER, never mind the thought of a placenta, which they say tastes similar.....

It was only 10 years ago that a hospital I used to work at would collect the placentas and ship them to France where they would make a facial cream ( have you ever bought a cream that says "contains Placentae" on it?). I am not sure how they would test the placentas at all, since they were all thrown in together into the freezer at the hospital. I believe most of those creams are now made from animal placenta. Still. You never know. Here is an excerpt from a site that discusses Placenta Cream:

"Placenta cosmetics are a skin care trend that began in the 1930s with an injection. CareFair.com explains that because of the nourishing qualities of the placenta, the cream has been noted as being a "wonder cream" in the field of cosmetics; placenta cream is best known as being an anti-aging cream because it stimulates cell renewal. As the skin ages, cells do not renew as rapidly as they once did, causing the skin to appear thinner. Placenta cream benefits are that the cell renewal placenta cream creates causes the skin to retain a youthful quality.


A placenta comes directly from a mother's womb and provides for the transfer of blood between the fetus and the mother. If the mother or fetus is diseased, the placenta will be diseased. Most placenta cosmetic manufacturers put the placenta through a sterilization process. According to EMKPlacental.com, "the placenta protein preparation is sterile, safe, and completely digestible by the human body. There are no restrictions in terms of applications. Upon ingestion, it is readily assimilated into the body with usually no identifiable side effects." However, remember to read the label and thoroughly research a product before use. "

To each their own, I suppose. There are other risks I would rather take.



I guess, it just isn't *me* :(





Posted by A NURSE at 8:34 AM

1 comments:

running wildly said...

Yowza. Honestly, I couldn't stomach placenta either.

Shudder.

July 01, 2010 3:12 PM

No comments: