Friday, August 24, 2012

Parkinson's and a Chainsaw plus One Dead Dog.

My mother phones me up in the middle of my night shift sleep to tell me that my brother's dog died up at my sister's farm.

I had asked "What happened?"   in response to her cryptic "Poor Boz" that  she posted to her Facebook Wall. (Yes, my mother at age 81 has a Facebook account!)

Not a good thing to post without explanation especially when the grand kids who actually own the dog are up late at night - see it  - and  post the exact same thing I did.  

She replied with an even more cryptic "Phone your sister and ask her".....

Apparently he was hit by a car. 

Sad story. 

You really don't want to know the details - but here it goes anyway. 


My idiot brother had bought this Leonberger dog with the intention to breed him because he had this wild idea that he could make some quick money (first mistake) and paid an exorbitant price for the dog that he could ill afford (second mistake).

Of course, it was like flushing the money down the loo because no one had time to spend with him (third mistake), and he became an unruly big untrained bear of a dog - albeit harmless. 

It got so no one could handle him, and after a disastrous spill from the back of my brother's truck while driving down the highway (yes, I know. Stupid, stupid.  Like I said...and fourth mistake.) and a broken hip later that he allowed to heal on it's own because a vet was too expensive (fifth mistake), Boz was put on my Sister's farm up in northern Alberta to live out his life.  

As it so happens, his life he lived out was cut short when he was hit by what was probably the only vehicle to drive by during a huge electrical storm.

Thus the cryptic "Poor Boz" on my mother's FB page.

But that isn't the end of it.  In my foggy haze of half asleep/half awake state that we as nurses experience when we get a phone call mid-sleep in mid-day..... I offhandedly asked mom what dad was up to.

"Oh your Uncle is here (Dad's brother, husband of the nearly-drowned aunt) and he and your dad are out cutting wood for the winter."

"You mean.....trees? Those big trees out front??"

 "Your dad couldn't get the chainsaw started. They are using a small saw..."

"Wait....what??? Well thank goodness for that, mom  He's got Parkinson's!"

"Don't you worry," mom says casually - honestly believing what she is saying.  "He knows what he's doing."

"MOM. I know that he knows what he's doing! But - a chainsaw??? He's got - Parkinson's!! Think about it!  Don't you think that's slightly dangerous??"

I have to admit, the nurse in me had to be amused just a teensy bit at the vision that just flashed through my mind.  I couldn't help it. 

Admit it.  You did too!

Parkinson's and a chainsaw

That's a casualty waiting to happen.

Holy Mackerel.  It gives me nightmares thinking about the possibilities.

The bad thing is....it isn't like I could even stop it.

Sometimes we as adult children, have to just stop and take a breath, and let parents be parents.... there is nothing to do but pray they don't harm themselves along the way.

What a reversal.

Wait a minute.  I think I posted about that before......

*sigh*



No comments: