In Canada - you shoot someone - no matter what, you are taken into custody and at very minimum - the gun is removed from that person. You can't just go out in your neighborhood and shoot someone, even though sometimes you might feel like it.
I am not going to get into the whole argument whether guns should or shouldn't be allowed or the stats for or against guns etc. That's a whole argument in of itself that could go on and on with opposing sides braced for a long haul.
![]() |
| this is what my bf's gun looked like |
Interestingly enough, as a high school student, skeet shooting and handgun handling was part of our recreation education curriculum.
Sounds weird nowadays, especially in Canada, doesn't it?
But, those were more innocent times, I guess....shortly before my friend at school was gunned down by a crazy American with a gun out in his father's orchard - along with 7 others. The shooter is still locked up in a forensic psychiatric facility - for almost 40 years now - too insane to be released.
Every two years he is allowed a parole hearing and my friend's family risks driving on snowy, icy mountain passes in the dead of winter every time - and live the tragedy over and over again... just to ensure he isn't released.
Ten years later, I lived with a guy that did own a handgun - six shooter type (permit given by the RCMP after a vetting process), which by the way, was always kept under lock and key, stashed safely away at all times.
The law in Canada states that hand guns require registration and a permit must be obtained whenever transported even if going to the shooting range. The permit would clearly state origin and destination. One must take the gun to where it is going by the most direct route only - under lock and key and out of sight - no side trips to the liquor store or any such thing.
If caught - the penalties are costly.
I must admit, we were guilty of taking the handgun out on occasion to do target shooting in our backyard - taking aim at pop cans on yonder stump.
But, even while target practicing, I never did understand the need for a handgun.
![]() |
| photos from this website |
Back to the idiot who just killed an unarmed kid.
Interestingly enough, a study was done at Notre Dame University, soon to be published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance*, that suggests persons packing a gun are biased towards thinking that everyone else has a gun also.
In five experiments, subjects were shown images of people holding various neutral objects such as a can of pop or cell phone while holding either a toy gun or a neutral object such as a foam ball. The images were all varied - different races, with or without ski masks etc. In every case, the study showed that holding a gun changed the subject's perception that the image shown was also was holding a gun.
“Beliefs, expectations and emotions can all influence an observer’s ability to detect and to categorize objects as guns,” Brockmole** says. “Now we know that a person’s ability to act in certain ways can bias their recognition of objects as well, and in dramatic ways. It seems that people have a hard time separating their thoughts about what they perceive and their thoughts about how they can or should act.”As the article says, this study can have ramifications for law enforcement and public safety.
Someone tell that to Treyvon Martin.
If he could answer, I am sure he would say, yes, indeed, it does.
__________________________________________
*Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance
** Dr. James R. Brockmole


8 comments:
There was a petition started at move on.org to bring Zimmerman to justice. So far they have 492,000 signatures. It worked already. The FBI, the FL and the US Attorney Generals are now involved.
Yes, in the USA we have the right to "bear arms". . . However, I am not sure why that means AK47's, etc. Maybe have guns, but no bullets. !?!
My husband has a gun in a lock box, but don't remember the code to unlock it. We had a coyote coming for the chickens and he was fumbling to get it open. . . The coyote just laughed at us. . . finally just turned around a trotted away.
K-fro
Phiddy: I don't have much confidence on online petitions, however it's better than nothing and politicians like to buy votes for sure....
k88: I don't understand the need for AK47s either. Our friend has an assault rifle - 22 calibre, but still..... he mostly uses it as a prop in the movies he acts in but still.......it creeps me out.
My belief (and I will not be swayed) is that there are very few, hardly any, situations that would arise in my life when I would need or want to use a gun. I feel that if I live somewhere where a gun would be necessary for my personal protection I shouldn't be there. That goes for out in the bush or some dangerous urban or suburban place. I also abhor 'hunting'...in this day and age it is totally not necessary especially for someone who considers it a 'sport'...come on...really...a 'sport'. No one can convince me otherwise on this issue either. Oh and btw...most of the 'predators' that live around our rural property can be scared away very easily by non-lethal means. Afterall we share this world with all creatures, don't we? Sorry to have gotten off on that but it does tie into the gun violence issue due to the 'right' to bear arms.
Saddest story ever. Thanks for writing about it.
Cowgirl: I agree wholeheartedly. I would love a world without guns. But since they allow them in some places, you would think that common sense would say at least make sure the people who have them are mentally fit - and they don't use it to kill or threaten people. I also hate it that innocent animals are hunted down and killed. I am not a total vegetarian, but I am getting close to it lately.
Betsy: yes, it is a very sad story. Poor kid. Didn't have a chance. This study shows that anyone carrying a gun will believe others are too - even if they aren't....and that is a very scary thing.
I've been following this story and it truly is a tragedy. The latest is that the kid had a bit of a history of getting into trouble, but flip side of that is he was obviously feeling threatened and who wouldn't be? Some guy with a gun following you- Yep, that would scare me. This guy was looking for trouble and he got it.
I live in the South, and everywhere we go- the park, our neighborhood, even church, we hear gunshots. I hate it. Down here people just think it's normal, but when is a stray bullet going to take a life? This is just one in a pile of problems we have here in the States.
I believe that a civilian shooting anyone should be hauled in and questioned. Plus the gun taken away. None of that was done. You would never get away with that up here in Canada....there was an instance here where a store owner lay waiting in his shop with a gun because of break ins and he shot someone....he was apprehended and appeared in court.
Post a Comment