Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Information Smorgasbord

We have several rental properties. Right now our "retirement" property by the ocean is up for rent and so I am mid-process in finding new renters. (View below)





What people don't realize is how much information they put on the Internet for anyone to find or piece together. We, as bloggers, are pretty well anonymous (we hope!) however, many people don't seem to care - until they realize how it can affect them.

Let me tell you about our rental process and you will see what I mean.

First I put an ad out on Craigslist. I have a gmail address set up specifically for this, with no identifiers. I put a link to my gmail photo album which has at least 100 photos of each property.

This gives those searching a good idea as to what the property and amenities look like - no need to give a tour and I only get the serious inquiries.(the photos below are from the apartment 2 doors down, identical to ours) This cuts out those who are the "looky-loos".


When the prospective renter emails me asking whether the apartment is still available, I email back and ask for them to tell me a little more about themselves and ask - " what can you tell me about yourself that would have you stand out from the rest of the applicants?"

I eliminate those that don't sound like the type we want, then email the rest with an application form attached. When they send the info back...or even if they don't - I have information to research.


I google their name, phone numbers, address, email address and search on Myspace, Facebook, Linkdin and any other search engine or Networking site.

If I can find them on Facebook and their settings are set to private, I look at all their friends. I can always count on someone giving up info! Usually I can find something written by the prospective tenant somewhere.


You can speculate what they are like by what groups they have joined or interest connections. I have found full blogs with names attached, work information, personal details, pet's names, where they work, comments on the Internet, ads of items for sale complete with responses - you name it.

In Canada you can look up court records, court cases both civil and provincial and also appeals online with only a last name.

By this time I have weeded out the undesirables. This time it left me with 10 applicants. I arrange one showing only - at the convenience of the present tenant and my self - and then as I meet each prospective tenant, I make notes in my book.


Then, finally, I research their actual application information they provide - the personal and work references . If there is anything that is red flag material, I delete.


I then send the chosen "new tenants" the tenancy agreement by email - which our province has online - and get them to fill it out and drop it by with a 1/2 month deposit and first month rent.




It is a slightly time consuming process but a very interesting one - and I must admit that I have been surprised at some of the prospective tenants and the information that surfaces.....I am not sure that they realize how much information I can glean from so little offered.



I have discovered lies about occupations, people that are blatant partying aficionados with questionable photos online, I have uncovered deep dark secrets and stories.

The best one was a couple who were both lawyers. I found her "online diary" from her days in University which described her family, her dog, her then boyfriend and now husband, the wedding, everything!

Good news is - We have yet to place a bad tenant.

For a similar reason, I find it is a good rule of thumb to google one's own name every once in a while to see what is out there. Lots of info out there on your name is good for me - but personally, I just don't like to see too much out there on me.

It's just one big smorgasbord of information out there !

2 comments:

Rachedy said...

I am taking my blog private, will explain later. Needless to say, it sucks but I have to do it.

Cartoon Characters said...

I hear ya. Been there. It really isn't worth it to be out there and talking about work. :(
Sad.